• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin Pilot C-20 XL 15.5/80R20 vs Goodyear at2a 14 20

MiseryMachinery

Are these tires intrrchangeable and is there anything wrong with the michelins? The place I'm looking at buying them from sells the michelins cheaper and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the reason for this.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They could be cheaper because of the manufacturing date being 2005 or older?

Ask for pics of the date codes before you buy!

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The XL tires have a rep for cracking and splitting easily. I'm not sure about the G20s, but its something to watch for. I've also heard of wear issues with the Goodyears.

Hard choice unless one is in much newer condition than the other.

DrillerSurplus

Are these tires intrrchangeable and is there anything wrong with the michelins? The place I'm looking at buying them from sells the michelins cheaper and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the reason for this.
I think the M944A1 is issued with the 14.00 tires which are 49" tall. The 15.5 are 46" tall, so the engine rpm to go the same speed would increase by 6.5%. Or if your top speed was 55 mph at engine's red line rpm with the 14.00's, your new top speed would be 51.7 mph with the 15.5 tires. Might make a difference in your choice.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is a mpt tire with a different bead profile and not compatible with a combat wheel.

Many folks have had problems with older XL tires blowing out much more proportionally than other older tires. I would not use xl's......

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is a mpt tire with a different bead profile and not compatible with a combat wheel.
FWIW: The 12.5R20 and 14.5R20 are MPT; the 14.75/80R20 and 15.5/80R20 are not. The latter take a std 20x10" rim just like the 14.00R20.
I thought I had heard the xl's where bad about coming apart internally...
Some, yes; it has to do with tire age and also if they came on CTIS-equipped vehicles or not.
Generally speaking the XL/G20 was the military tire of excellence and very popular in the '80s already. But like so many other things, tire technology has evolved too and shortly after 2K the XL-model was discontinued, considered obsolete. So most of the surplussed XL-tires are older than 10 years, particularly the G20 15.5/80R20.
Then the 14.00R20 coming on M939 series trucks and the 14.5R20 (M35A3) more than often sat flat for weeks or even months before the vehicle was finally auctioned off. If such a tire was reused and then suddenly blew apart we can't blame Michelin, of course.

I may be wrong but I think the G20 XL 15.5/80R20 only came on the M1076 (trailer, palletized load) so CTIS-related damage was/is not an issue.

G.

Last edited: