• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin XL tires

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the consensus on the Michelin XL tires at this point?

I ran across what looks like a decent deal on a set. For a 5 ton that won't see much "real" use, would they be ok? Or are they past the point of safe use?

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are 16.00s. Bigger than I need, but for 100 each I thought I might try them.

With the 11.00s on it now, its topped out at 50, but cruises best around 45. And I rarely go more than 15-20 miles with it.

I was looking to put on some of the 395s, but haven't found any semi-local or at that kind of price.

tobyS

By the time you are done, the ticket price will seem small no matter which you choose. Yes, it's a great deal on the tires if cracking has not started. You will gain top end but loose the low end.....then you can play with fuel and rpm, etc.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First gear is so low, I figured it may compensate for the effective change in gearing. And I don't actually haul anything with the truck, so the power loss probably won't be a huge concern.

tobyS

It certainly makes a difference if you haul a load. Buy the tires if their condition is good as an "investment" that you can probably resell at profit if you don't use them. Be sure to store correctly, out of sun and relatively cool, if you don't put them on right away.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At that price they're tempting. Also, being 16.00s the weight rating is higher which makes failure less probable in your use.

What do you have for wheels? On 939series trucks hemtt rims are needed for 16.00s or they rub. I don't know if this is applicable to your M51...

The loss of low end power with 16.00s is pretty pronounced...But for a truck that's a toy, they're still my #1 choice.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any wheels yet. Was looking at lmtv wheels to go with the 395s.

I have the new lug nuts already, but would I have to change the studs if I went with the hemtt wheels?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Presuming the m51 is like the 809series , there's an offset lugnut that allows you to use the existing wheel studs. This is a picture of the offset lugnut and hemtt rim on the back of my M925, but they also work on the front. I have them on the front of my M818 with hemtt rims.

Although they look inset, there's full thread engagement.

To use the normal lugnuts and hemtt rims on the front of 809series trucks, you'd have to swap out the wheelstuds. I'm presuming the M51 is the same as the 809series. (The 939series is different up front. The 939series has longer wheelstuds.)

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First gear is so low, I figured it may compensate for the effective change in gearing. And I don't actually haul anything with the truck, so the power loss probably won't be a huge concern.
Your speedometer will be off by something like 24%. If you do end up with the truck loaded, you'll probably end up using low range to take off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks