• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan area tires?

Heath_h49008

Anybody know of some good local salvage locations that might have a source on 395-85 r 20s or FMTV wheels? I'm looking at deuce driving distance from the Michigan-Indiana border.

Tires don't have to be new... in fact I would prefer 50% tread. I keep seeing you southern guys and the dude in Canada selling them for $50-$100 a shot...( to bad they would cost a small fortune to ship...) and can't help but think these are going market rates, but I just haven't found a local source.

Not buying immediately... spring at the earliest. But the FMTV wheels should be found with the tires and I know someone looking for them as well.

Thanks for any advice in case I'm walking into a briar patch. What to look out for, shady dealers, etc.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Small fortune to ship? Looking at four tires on a pallet from us would only run $158-168 in freight.

Heath_h49008

Wow... I was way off on the shipping quotes. I was getting listings of $800-no joke-$2000 to ship 1500lbs on 2 pallets. That's truck freight? I've never had to ship without fortune 500 company price discounts.

Thanks for the info!! I'm trying to budget my truck related purchases and figure out what is a deal vs going rate vs high.

Am I correct in estimating a max of 3-4 tires per pallet? Is there a significant savings picking up at the terminal?

Thank you all for the advice. I have been searching, but knowing how fluid rates can be, as well as how the tire market can fluctuate, I felt it better to ask than assume.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes it's truck freight. 4 tires will fit on a pallet, but for 6 tires you'd split it 3 and 3. If you don't have a commercial address, terminal pickup will save you about $100 vs. the cost of residential freight. But the quote is typically the same on a terminal vs. commercial shipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks