• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan MVPA 3rd Annual Oscoda Show & Swap Aug 16-17, 2013 Wurtsmith AFB

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3rd Annual Michigan MVPA Military Vehicle Show and Swap Meet at the Wurtsmith Air Museum, on the historic former Wurtsmith Air Force Base (SAC), in Oscoda, Michigan Friday, Saturday, Aug 16-17, 2013. Set up begins on Thursday the 15th, take down on the 18th.

Wurtsmith Air Museum Fly-in [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif]
Saturday, August 17, 2013
8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Pancake Breakfast
Pilots & passengers may tour the museum free of charge
Rain Date: August 18, 2013[/FONT]

Other events are being discussed as this year marks the 20th year since the base closing.

Amphibs may swim from the former Air Force beach, right across the road from our show site on Van Ettan Lake

Vendor space's from $15 (MIMVPA members - free)
Vendor tables inside the old, historic and unique F-105 Hanger of the Air Museum are $20 per table, limited availability.

Limited on site camping, only within military display, no civi tents / campers on site. There are thousands of other lodging opportunities in the immediate Oscoda/Ausable area. State campgrounds, a VERY large and famous 'on the water' campground (Old Orchard Park) on the Foote Dam reservoir , and many motels and resorts, many right on the Lake Huron beach.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a dilemma, it's a choice.
A choice I really don't have, this will be the 1st time I miss the Clare show in over a dozen years.
The Oscoda show date was determined last fall by the Wurtsmith Air Museum's Fly In.
The Clare show has been on the 3 different weekends in August, It had been the 4th weekend from 1997-2006 then 2007-2011 were on the 3rd weekend and 2012 was on August 4th. There was also talk last year of holding the Clare show in July.
Yet late this spring it was announced to be the same weekend as Oscoda.

See Ya in Oscoda!
I'll be there Thursday Afternoon for the early setup, give me a shout if you're coming Thursday Afternoon/Evening, otherwise we'll be ready @ 0900 Friday

zak

I'll be there saturday. If anybody has m37 parts needs let me know, if I have it I'll bring it. Also I have a Myers aluminum top and a complete plow setup for a CJ2.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weather Looks Good for the weekend!
I'll be on site 1st thing in the morning.
any issues my cell# (redacted)
all you can eat pancake breakfast Saturday morning $6

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Despite the Fly In not happening until Saturday, early Friday we were graced by a low fly over of an Eagle, and some high altitude military aircraft on maneuvers, as well as the SCCA cars running down on the old alert pad both days.
Saturday the planes came in early and steadily including a club member who flew his Historic Military Aircraft up for the day. We did have a couple members testing the limits of the all you can eat breakfast in the hangar.
Media was out interviewing people and taking pictures.

:sad:Thats all there is to say. I cant believe there is anything more important than a MV show though.......... :grin:

Last edited:

zak

The yellow military airplane ( I think it was a T6- Texan) flew low down the center of Cedar Lake around 11:30. He stood it up on the right wingtip and I thought he was going to do a barrel roll. He straightened it out and then flew east towards Lake Huron. What a show!
There was a big turnout for the pancakes, too bad they ran out of plates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks