• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Titling M923A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipaa

Title-Yes, but sketchy, kind of like a title for an off-road vehicle.
Registration-Maybe
Plates-Between $350 up to $1450 a year. Depending on how they feel at the SOS. (If you can convince them it is "farm" use and not "non-commercial/commercial" good luck....)
Legal-My county weighmaster told me that he would have it taken off the road as not safe for farm/commercial use. I took him the documentation and my BOS. Personal friend for 20 years.
Scrap Value-$2k to $3k for engine, $1400 to $1600 for truck.
Worth the trouble? Up to you if you want a REALLY expensive off-road toy that will get you in trouble with the USFS/DNR in Michigan. "Tread Lightly Program" limits ORV's to 50 inches in width or less.
Ultimately, a 5 ton is a parade vehicle that will sit and collect mice all winter in your pole barn. They look nice though.......

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you just on here to make useless statements or did someone ask a question?

zout

Blah Blah = sounds like legal issues asked on a world wide web site for interpretation for all kinds of comments and answers.
Still looking for the BEEF in the post.
Also scrap values differ across the country.

therooster2001

Blah Blah = sounds like legal issues asked on a world wide web site for interpretation for all kinds of comments and answers.
Still looking for the BEEF in the post.
Also scrap values differ across the country.
The thing of value in this thread is watching Zout's change of avatars. He always makes good choices.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like sour grapes....

My experience in AZ - title received from GL (not SF97), nothing at all sketchy about it. There were multiple insurance companies willing to insure it. Tagged noncommercial for $82 per year. I drive it to the steel store, I drive it to dinner at Olive Garden, I drive it in the monsoons, I drive it up the fire road to Mt Lemmon, and I drive it to GL and GP sites to drag home other heavy green steel. Frequently i drive it just to drive it. No issues.

With the large number of people on SS from MI who have the 5ton trucks with experiences that more closely resemble mine than yours, I suspect either you're missing something or deliberately distorting things....

Last edited:

hipaa

Sounds like sour grapes....

My experience in AZ - title received from GL (not SF97), nothing at all sketchy about it. There were multiple insurance companies willing to insure it. Tagged noncommercial for $82 per year. I drive it to the steel store, I drive it to dinner at Olive Garden, I drive it in the monsoons.

With the large number of people on SS from MI who have the 5ton trucks with experiences that more closely resemble mine than yours, I suspect either you're missing something or deliberately distorting things....

I am waiting on my GP title. Your next statement mentions something we cannot talk about. In Michigan you have to pay for a GVWR plate if commercial. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gvw_19180_7.pdf
Farm/Log Plate http://michigan.gov/documents/sos/Farm_Plate_Fee_Chart_288465_7.pdf or if they deny Farm Plate you pay this. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/nongvwcommercialtrucks_19222_7.pdf

This is what the SOS wants me to pay. $1456.70 for a 12 month plate. This will also not get you around the CDL requirement. If you buy a 1992 BMY-Harsco it isn't old enough to be an "antique" so you still have issues. BTW sour grapes make vinegar, which is much more useful than a parade truck.

I am trying to post information about the M939 series trucks and their titling and license plate issues for Michigan residents that would like to use one for actually work and not collecting/parades.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Move to CT 20 years is antique and it can be your daily driver. The only restriction is actual commercial use. If you want to haul items for your personal use there's no statute against it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Postulating that your assertions are accurate, and i have no evidence to the contrary...

Pay the fees and get the class A, issue resolved.

Or cherry pick trucks that meet the antique requirements.

Or do what Swiss did and push hard enough for long enough and get the laws changed.

Or move. (I dont say this as lightly as it sounds, I have personally relocated due to unfriendly state laws)

hipaa

We cannot daily drive a collector truck. It is against the law in Michigan. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_52364---,00.html [h=3]Historical and authentic license plates[/h]
Michigan has a long and proud history as the automotive center of the world. Many residents enjoy restoring and collecting vintage automobiles, trucks and motorcycles. Since 1956, the state has issued historic and authentic license plates for antique vehicles used in parades, fairs, car shows, swap meets and other events.
Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:

• 26 or more years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades and car show
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hipaa you have to come in peace. My friend your bound to be doing something wrong these trucks everybody likes I have so far in three trucks never gotten a negative response from any one even Mr Leo waves and even sometimes slaut me I run no tag on my truck stop at no truck scales and have not once been stopped or questioned so I do believe in my heart that it is how you are going about it and your post and also when you were here before if I am correct claiming go screwed you over.
These Guy's and I will bend over backwards to help in anyway we can just please come to the table without the negative attitude. Ask how we can help we will try to come up with a solution to help you.

Thanks
Ken

hipaa

Postulating that your assertions are accurate, and i have no evidence to the contrary...

Pay the fees and get the class A, issue resolved.

Or cherry pick trucks that meet the antique requirements.

Or do what Swiss did and push hard enough for long enough and get the laws changed.

Or move. (I dont say this as lightly as it sounds, I have personally relocated due to unfriendly state laws)
I am posting the links so that people in Michigan can see the laws. It would be nice to have someone in Michigan be helpful and point me in the right direction to change the laws. The "sour grapes" statements are not helpful. As it stands I have to buy a 1989 or older and let it sit most of the year or face serious tickets. I do not see a way around it at this time.

hipaa

Hipaa you have to come in peace. My friend your bound to be doing something wrong these trucks everybody likes I have so far in three trucks never gotten a negative response from any one even Mr Leo waves and even sometimes slaut me I run no tag on my truck stop at no truck scales and have not once been stopped or questioned so I do believe in my heart that it is how you are going about it and your post and also when you were here before if I am correct claiming go screwed you over.
These Guy's and I will bend over backwards to help in anyway we can just please come to the table without the negative attitude. Ask how we can help we will try to come up with a solution to help you.

Thanks
Ken
I am coming in peace. I am following the rules of Michigan. Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division 517.241.0506 of the Michigan State Police warned me when I called them that these trucks are in their opinion "collector/parade" only. I was warned by an Inspector that a WeighMaster or Motor Carrier Officer would ticket the wallet out of me if I was using it to haul anything. My beef with GP is that DLA Headquarters is in Battle Creek, Michigan and the DLA says that these trucks are Demil "A" and the MSP tells me "so what." Michigan law says different.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We cannot daily drive a collector truck. It is against the law in Michigan. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_52364---,00.html Historical and authentic license plates

Michigan has a long and proud history as the automotive center of the world. Many residents enjoy restoring and collecting vintage automobiles, trucks and motorcycles. Since 1956, the state has issued historic and authentic license plates for antique vehicles used in parades, fairs, car shows, swap meets and other events.
Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:

• 26 or more years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades and car show
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation.
Former military vehicles DO NOT NEED TO BE 25 YEARS OLD for historic plates .
[h=1]New Michigan License Plate Law for MV's Passes[/h]post #17 has a copy of the amended act.

It seems hipaa enjoys posting false information.

hipaa

Former military vehicles DO NOT NEED TO BE 25 YEARS OLD for historic plates .
New Michigan License Plate Law for MV's Passes

post #17 has a copy of the amended act.

It seems hipaa enjoys posting false information.
I enjoyed none of this. I DO NOT WANT A PARADE VEHICLE. That statue is for displaying the plate. It also does not address the other issue that is a sticky. To sum this up.

1. I want the truck to use for a farm.
2. The SOS said no to me personally for farm use.
3. If not, then I have to take a CDL Class A. I cannot pass the physical.
4. If not farm use the plates are almost $1500 a year if you can pass the physical.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hipaa use truck on farm do not take out on road get
Civy truck for road hauling.

I know getting old sucks.

Sometimes it cost more than the hassle.
At this time the only suggestion I have for you is to find a farm truck that will suit all your requirements.
Maybe a military truck is just not right for you and your present circumstances.

Thanks
Ken

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I enjoyed none of this. I DO NOT WANT A PARADE VEHICLE. That statue is for displaying the plate. It also does not address the other issue that is a sticky. To sum this up.

1. I want the truck to use for a farm.
2. The SOS said no to me personally for farm use.
3. If not, then I have to take a CDL Class A. I cannot pass the physical.
4. If not farm use the plates are almost $1500 a year if you can pass the physical.
I don't see why you would need a 72,000 GVW plate ( $1500 ) on a 3 axle truck with the per axle weight limits in michigan .
Michigan GVW plare fees ; http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gvw_19180_7.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks