• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Winter 2010 MV Rally.

citizensoldier

Sent to me by a anonymous source..
In an effort to save ourselves , being the devil's advocate and nay say er in the proposal by the guy in Higgins Lake:

The snowmobile trails around that area are very much used (by downstate riders with a ton of $$$$ stuck in sleds and hotels) and groomed at the expense of the snowmobile trail permits and local clubs.

I checked the state map and there are designated snow mobile trails and prohibited to wheeled vehicles as I understand it.

Depends on where this guy plans on going and if the kid brings up his Weasel it is considered a tracked vehicle and so merits a registration and trail permit.

I have run my deuce and such around the farmstead and know how bad it tears up the snow so there may be an outcry about cutting up any snowmobile trails or even crossing them.

If there are the number of sleds around Higgins Lake there is here on a weekend in the Manistee River area there will be an on slot....as the trail to TC and to Cadillac originates here.
This will be the 'hot snowmobile' weekend late in February and no doubt the local constabulary will out patrolling the trails. I do not want to be confronted by DNR Officers and County Deputies out in the frozen tundra asking sticky questions and me with no viable answers.....

An accident on the trail somewhere would be a legal nightmare as we are not talking two sleds colliding but a sled and potential 20 - 30 k truck..

As much as I admire the idea and concept, the reality of it all it may back fire. State/Fed land is THE precious commodity in that area...

I do not know any DNR/Fed officers to get a on-the-side opinion.

Yea, we are taxpayers and have a right to use the State Land but regretfully it have to be under thier guidelines.

The above is the reasons I have been mute on the subject on the SS website ........
Sorry to be such a stick in the mud (snow) but I see the handwriting on the wall.

I could be wrong ....I have been wrong before....

Previously, we ran tracked vehicles that WERE LICENSED AS SNOWMOBILES on the snowmobile trails but still raised a ruckus because we took up two lanes of traffic. If you're planning on running trucks with chains, I would suggest using the DNR fire lanes, scenic (unplowed) county roads, and/or oil field roads. A knowledgeable local guide would be a valuable asset in this case.

citizensoldier

Yep Bigbee is right... A very knowledgeable person of the area and a chat with the local DNR would not hurt either.. Anybody? Its my understanding that in the winter they become designated snowmobile trails only. Hmmmm sure would like to have some winter MV fun if we can make it happen..

jfnemt1ff1

Yea as far as the snow mobile trailes, the DNR will even had out tickets to quads and motorcycles. The money that the snowmobiles bring in to the local area are unbeable and what helps them through the whole year.I used to take my gama goat out in the winter but in the am and on weekdays.
John

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a snowmobile map of the area.
Green is state land
Red is snowmobile only. (usually 50" max width)
This map shows roads but does not list if any are seasonal or not.
A vist to the local DNR office with that map should resovle if any are seasonal
On Huron National Forest land many of the forest roads are deemed seasonal and not open to vehicles over 50" wide until April 1st. at least those maps are readily available on line and at US Forest Service offices.
The 50" width rule likely prohibits the use of a Weasel on the snowmobile trails

Attachments

digitaldust

I have been on the trails up there before I dont think my deuce will make the turns on a few places or stay on the trail.
also the M109's are too tall for most of the trails
IMHO leroy Mi

byrdo

Well Gentleman,

It was my intention to run the logging trails. I have had my truck up there before and did not have any problems. I do appreciate the concerns for the snowmobilers and not wanting to make any trouble. It is always a risk when we take to the roads in our MV's. In this case, I think if we stuck to the logging trails we would be O.K.. Remember, we are big, loud, visible and comparatively slow. I am still in if there are a least 5 other willing to follow through with this.

Byrd-O

Has this fallen apart or is there still something in the works?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks