• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mid 70's NATO green same as 34079?

Whiterabbit

Hey all. Finished stripping the paint on my 1978 Military Rover and now comes paint. I keep seeing flat,semi and what looks like gloss on Britt vehicles from that time period. Guess anything goes as far as sheen? I read that 34079 or 24079 Vietnam green is the same as the old NATO green. True??False??
The color I keep finding under the pannels and covers on the truck looks like the flat OD you get from Wallmart. LOL!
The truck gets alot of use, will Rapco/oil base paint hold up or should I look for a 2 part urathane?
Thanks in advance.

Jones

I don't think there's a exact match in the current FS595b Color Fan Deck for NATO Green (DB? might stand for Daimler Benz 6431, RAL6014, BS4800). Add to the confusion, one site wanted to know if I meant NATO green or NATO tri-color green.

FED STD 595 Federal Standard 595 Color Server will take you to a good reference site but remember that color renditions vary due to computer monitor calibration.

Rocky Mountain Moggers - Unimog Color Codes shows it but doesn't seem to cross it over to anything US.

IF you can lay your hands on an FS595B Color Fan Deck you could just thumb through 'til you find something you're satisfied with. Looks like they're only about $158.00 now.
Federal Standard 595 | Fed-Std-595 Color Specification | Fan Deck | Paint Chips
Some Sherwin-Williams Industrial Coatings stores probably have one tucked away for their reference and they might let you take a look at theirs.

Whiterabbit

I came across the RAL6014 number but tried all day to cross it over to something I could give a paint company. No luck.
I guess the 34079 with some kind'a hardner might work. It's not likely it'll ever be parked next to another one painted Nato green.:cool:
My biggest concern is most of it's body is aluminum with a steel firewall and rad support. Everyone says to use an epoxy type primer so it'll bind to both types of metal. I was looking at a company called "Magnet Paints". Anyone use their paint?

Jones

Prep and primer is the key to getting paint to stick, not necessarily the paint itself.

As far as paint codes; some numbers are actually hobby colors for models. If all else fails, get a small bottle and make your own color chips. A 1" X 1" color chip is easy to scan in and formulate by some of the automotive paint mfrs. Plus, you'll have something big enough to carry around so people can actually see the color you're talking about.

Whiterabbit

Yep, prep will make or break a paint job.
I've got a Sherwin Williams arround the corner, can I give them the 34079 code and ask for it in enamel. GCI is nothing more than industrial enamel right? Just looking a gal and some hardner. I know the hardner will make it shine a bit more but from all the pics I've seen the Brits had gloss,semi gloss and flat on their equipment.
Thanks all.
I'm hoping to get it green so I can go to the Ga. meet in Oct.

Whiterabbit

From SW web site 34079 Forrest Green product #F93GC355 under military coatings for 1 gal. CARC
They have a RAL paint code page! Whooohoooo.
RAL6014=RGS9-00003.
They are having a sale this weekend and I gott'a get this ball rolling.

Last edited:

Whiterabbit

Here she is, 34079 with 10% reducer and half the recommended hardner. Sprayed with a Binks gun. 1Gal did the body inside & out. Running it up to the Ga. Rally in the morning!:grin:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks