• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mid Life "Crisis" required buying m35a2, need pointers

wvhillbilly

Okay guys, heres the deal: my wife and I "needed" to purchase a vehicle to:
1. Use as a hunting vehicle in 4wd country in the mountains of WV,
2. Be capable of hauling heavy loads and/or our yearly firewood.
3. Be reasonably priced as we will not be using it except for huntin', haulin'
or just turning the local rednecks heads, (or the occasional parade/show.)
4. Be COOL ENOUGH to haul her show equipment to gigs in a 5 county area.
(She is a country singer, I'm the "sound man".

Rather than spend too much money on too little truck, we opted to buy a 1970
m35a2 from a private seller in PA. MY wife is very nsupportive because she likes the "unusual" in vehicles. She also said that this was my midlife crisis.
I told her it was either a younger woman or an older truck. Heee Hee.

I believe this seller when he says it is roadworthy. He has put it thru a refurbishment of sorts, and says it runs and operates properly. At any rate, I want to be prepared, and here is why:

I am travelling to Glenmoore, Pa from Marlinton, WV(361 miles) and picking this truck up, staying the night, then driving it back WITHOUT ANYBODY FOLLOWING ME, i.e. I'm doin' on my own. Everybody says I'm nuts to attempt this. I think they are WRONG. I want to prove them wrong. As a fairly good mechanic, and the manager of a large PARTS STORE, along with the fact I have PLENTY of tools, I feel that I can do this.

BUT I NEED YOUR HELP!!! I need to know EXACTLY what you recommend I take with me in the way of an emergency parts kit(Belts? Hoses? SBF? what ever?) Include sizes or part numbers where available.

PLEASE HELP ME prove all the naysayers WRONG. I can do this if I have all
your "10-wheelers" help. Get behind me, I catch my one-way ride with a friend who works in the area on March 8th.

As MacArthur said: I SHALL RETURN. (He needed help, too.)

Signed, WVHILLBILLY, Proud American(and new member)

P.S. Da' Missus already named it "midlife Crisis"

hulk31st

Welcome and congrats on having an understanding wife!

Check the forum, there's been lists posted of things to check after picking up a new deuce and before setting out for home. Look for posts about pickups at Government Liquidation.

Lex_Ordo

Sounds like a nice ruck, being that the seller took care of things.

I am not a Mechanic, but can tinker with the truck, and fix quite a bit, but there are some things I won't go near. However, I found that 90% of the truck can be worked on with the following. I carry a small tool bag with:

Needle nose pliers
Adjustable wrench
Nut driver 1/4" so I an use an adapter to run all my 3/8" sockets
3/8" socket set, american regular and deep w/ an extension
set of american combination wrenches
set of flat and phillips screwdrivers(small, medium and large)
wire crimper/ stripper

HTH

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
WVHillbilly,

My kin is from Marlinton and I know the area pretty good. These trucks are great but you ain't gonna set any speed records gone from Marlinton to Elkins. Some of those hills are gonna slow this truck down pretty good.

There is a long list of items to take with you for pickup. It is a sticky in the deuce forum.

Make sure you have hearing protection. Trust me, you will definately need it.

SR71BLACKBIRD

Our first conversation was, "whats that big green truck in the driveway?' I showed her who is the boss of the family!!
And sleeping in the cab for a few days was not too bad afterall.

wvhillbilly

docfarmall: on the same page with ya'. Come from a family eith a history of farmin' an' fightin'(Dad: USN, Me and Bro: USMC and USMCR, 5 uncles: US Army, Dozens of cousins: ALL
Branches, even the USCG. LOVE IH red, HATE JD Green..even have ol Cub sitting in the garage. Are we twins?:razz::p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks