• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mid-roadtrip NEED LMTV tires, I-90 anywhere between SD, WY, MY, ID or WA

MJT

Hello!

New here, just picked up our 1998 M1079 in Tennessee and are headed back home toward Seattle. The highway is eating up our tread and I'm worried we might need to do something midtrip..
We are in Sioux City and will be heading across I-90.
Anyone have a set or know where I can get some along the route? Terrible reception along the route, please feel free to text or call me 760-587-527six.

Thanks!

Matt & Janey

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
395s may be hard to come by in that area. We had lots of tires in Tennessee.

There is a set of 395s in Rapid City on craigslist.

May see if they have some take offs.

This person is in south Dakota. Doesn't list 395s but does have 14.00s which you would have to pull your front driveline and put them on the front.

These here are back towards the south of Minneapolis.

Hope this helps. We could ship you some first thing Tuesday morning. We could ship 4 tires that are our 85% nick/cut tires to Rapid city or Billings for $550. Would need 4 days to get there though if it comes down to it.

Mod. I know craigslist ads are not allowed but since this could be a needed item on a trip that is in progress could let it slide for the OP to make some calls.

Last edited:

MJT

I knew we should have bought some in Tennessee. Thanks for looking all that up for us. We've already passed Sioux falls but we emailed the guy in rapid city so hopefully that comes through. We would like to avoid shipping the tires. If we pick them up would a travel America or truck stop be able to put them on for us?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I knew we should have bought some in Tennessee. Thanks for looking all that up for us. We've already passed Sioux falls but we emailed the guy in rapid city so hopefully that comes through. We would like to avoid shipping the tires. If we pick them up would a travel America or truck stop be able to put them on for us?
Doubtful. Most truck tire places wont touch those things. They arent hard to do. But they have their own policies and. I can ship you some on wheels if needed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the issue is your front axle, check toe in with a crude method and set to zero if needed.

MJT

Front axle is good.. We just have about 25% tread left on all tires nd I'm worried we won't make the 1500miles back to Seattle without swapping. Im keeping it at or below 45mph... hopefully that will help but a new set in Montana or anywhere before home would help.

If I don't find any 395 military tires... is there a common radial or Road tire that will fit that wheel? Anything other than surplus military tires that fit?

I was considering changing the diff gearing to accommodate higher speeds... If I do that, is there a common axle that you swap it out to that is compatible with more common tires or no you just change the gearing inside the diff and keep the same set up?

Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
25% should make it home, 395s aren't that bad. 20" tires have become a military only thing as of late. Hopeless to find a 20" super single at roadside tire shops. I don't think speed has much to do with wear.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Army runs these foot on the floor wide open all day long. Of course there is usually a wrecker in the convoy though.

MJT

The guy I bought it from said the tires and diffs might get hot on the way back.. I've been keeping it around 45 and taking breaks every hour or two is that necessary? If I was up for the task running for 10 hours straight like a semi is that something you could do in a rig like this or do I need to take it easy like I have been? Anything I might have missed as a new owner? Like changing the blinker fluid every stop? Haha

Dock Rocker

Can’t help you with the tires but this may help you with your speed and temps.

Go to a harbor fright or similar and get a laser temp gun. Hit the tires, brakes and diffs with the gun at each stop. You will get a baseline on the first drive of the day and compare race reading to baseline at each stop. Also like the guy in this thread you may want to look at swapping to a synthetic oil in the diffs.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...iers.com/showthread.php?t=173506&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The guy I bought it from said the tires and diffs might get hot on the way back.. I've been keeping it around 45 and taking breaks every hour or two is that necessary? If I was up for the task running for 10 hours straight like a semi is that something you could do in a rig like this or do I need to take it easy like I have been? Anything I might have missed as a new owner? Like changing the blinker fluid every stop? Haha
Did you buy this 1079 from Eric ? in Algood?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This LMTV owner Is in Shepard Montana. Just off the I90/94 junction outside of Billings. Maybe he has some spare tires laying around.

• [h=1]contact name:[/h] sam
  • [h=1]call or text:[/h] ☎ (406) 698-8325

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes we did get it from Eric! Please tell me that's a good thing
He is a crook. I don't like him 1 bit. He is pretty shady in his dealings. I figured it was him since he had a 1079. Yeah we had about 500,000lbs of tires less than 200 yards from where you got back on I40 at.

MJT

Bummer to hear about Eric! Shadiness aside, the rig seems alright. You knew he had one.. Do you know anything else about it? I paid $15,500 including the winch (not installed), we've gone over 1k miles so far, thought it was an alright deal and the 1079s are impossible to find up in the northwest.. I was told everything was perfect on it before I arrived, and right now the only thing that we can tell is not working properly is turn signals and brake lights... did we so alright or get ripped?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A day late... I have a set of 6 at 90% in KS and could have met you in Rapid City.

They're still in KS, and I'm in Rapid City....

If you break down, I'll go fetch them and deliver as far as Casper or therebouts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hes had it for awhile. I mean prices flex on who has them or wants to sit on em. I wouldn't pay that much for one that I would have to drive that far to get home. But that is just me. You want it for a camping rig. I would have made something. that is just me.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?173073-NE-UT-SD-KS-set-of-six-395s-1100

If you want to kill a couple of days in Rapid City seeing mt Rushmore and similar tourist traps, I'll run back to KS and grab them. Price is $1300 delivered to Rapid City, and I'll assist you mounting one to ome of your wheels so you'll know how.

As far as stopping for cool downs - every time I've blown a tire out of the blue, it's been 30-60minutes after taking off. I strongly suspect that temperature transitions place the most stress on the tires. I've blown 4 or 5 like this. It's a large enough sample size that there's certainly something to it. My suggestion is takeoff in the morning, run your 400-450 miles with a brief fuel and food stop in the middle, and then call it a day.

Have an enjoyable trip!