• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

middle axle locking up

deuceman51

Well when I drive my M211 and I use the brakes it locks up the middle axle and then it won't release them so I just end up dragging the tires. If I reverse they will turn for about a turn or so and then lock up the other way. I jacked up the axle and spun the wheels and they turn just fine, but I can hear a slight rubbing sound when the wheel makes a complete turn. I think it is rubbing in one spot. I loosened up the brake shoes almost all the way, but the problem persists. I'm thinking maybe a broken return spring? Has anyone had this problem before with their M211?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a brake shoe is loose on one end, and binding against the drum. Happened to me with my old bus. Had to take it apart, got the drum turned, and reinstalled the same brakes. Works great now.

But you are going to have to pull it off, no fix from the outside. The pad might have come loose from the shoe too, that happened to my mom's old car, and it really locked it up.