• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Midland, MI. & Petoskey, MI. 5/31

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I didn't make either place this weekend. As a member of the GLMVPA & Michigan Museum of Military Transport, I should have took a truck to Midland, as a friend of Lane & Dave, I should of took a truck to Petoskey.
but as a Dad whose son was racing for the 1st time ever Saturday, I went to the races, didn't even get the M880 back together in time to tow with, had to overwork the Cherokee's 3500lb hitch :shock: . The track is just in the next town.

Used up old car+ low budget = electrical failure after 1 practice lap (intermitant toggle switch failure, which took a long time to track down :roll:)
Wrong rear springs made for very loose qualifying and a brush with the wall.
Changed out springs before heat race, handling improved, still too much carburator / fuel below 4500 rpm. Crash avoidance in heat race led to another brush with the wall, knocked hood pins off, track saftey removed hood under yellow, then lost the only 2 gears that were in the trans, 1st & 2nd. Had momentum to roll into the pit, but no magic for the tranny :cry:

Ok, so lets see some pics from the two shows I missed!

Attachments

Sorry, Boib. I didn't take my camera to the Wall in Petoskey. Was there to help set up and put a a tent for the Point Man Ministries, then our Post did the opening flag raising. Hopefully Lane or Dave P will post some soon. A nice group of trucks up there when I took the tent down today on my way to work. 2 straight dueces, 1 duece Gun truck, 1 deuce tractor, 2 m147 trailers, 1 5 ton tractor, 1 fuel trailer, 1 M819, 1 M816, 1 sap bucket trailer, 1 tow dolly, 1 Argyle, 1 M38A1 clone, and a rough M38 with hard top. But, like I said, I wasn't there for the pics.

citizensoldier

Hey Bob! Sorry to here about your sons racing issues.. BUT! Thats racing ! LOL
I took a few pictures and some video. It was a very moving event and I am very proud to have participated. I met some vets that fought from WWII to Vietnam.. :shock: and they were not the type found in the rear with the gear.. and had the pictures to back it up.. It was a great honor.. They enjoyed our trucks and from Weds to Thurs I bet we had 1000 kids from area schools come through..
Maxim in his Dough Boy WWI was asked to blow the opening notes for the Cerimony.. Very moving on a 1819 bugle..
Maxim YOU THE MAN !!!!!
We hope to do this again in two years so maybe we can get some guys from down state to show... Hint,, hint... :D

Attachments

citizensoldier

More pictures..

Attachments

citizensoldier

Here are some more.. Probably boring to some.. I didnt take any pictures of the best days.. We had a Native American war chant one morning that I missed and he played Taps on a tribal flute for the closing.
Also Clint Barber gets the hood up award for this show.. He had all kinds of fuel leaking problems but at least he made it.. Clint drove up all the way from the middle of the state in his M275 with M146 in tow. The sprag locked up when he was home so he also had to scramble to fix that for the trip.
Thank you Clint!
I want to add that the Iraq/Afghanastan memorial was very moving for me. When one looks at the number of troops deployed in the other war stats. And compare the number killed and time of conflict. This War we are in right now is very, very dangerouse. :( How do we end it? I dont know....
Thank you to all vets and service people and civilians doing there job for our freedom.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Thanks for sharing the great pictures. What a bunch of great displays. I wish I could have been there to shake every one of those vets hands and say Thank You. That S-10 is really a work of art. Rod, you look good in uniform! Did anyone else notice the ouverson hub used as a stepping point.

citizensoldier

I noticed.. He had to pull those hubs off his cargo deuce and take the front drive shaft off.. The sprag went crazy before he came up. It took a set of new front NDT's and turned them into junk in about 1 mile of driving.. Sprags are crap IMHO..
I would love a set of those hubs but at 1/3 the cost of a complete truck I will pass..