• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be a good idea

m35a2cowner

If you like me your getting a might forgetful nowadays, today as the Arctic blasts are descending on us here in Ohio it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't know if I had checked the antifreeze protection in the deuce. Thankfully I had and wrote it on the radiator in one of my previous moments of enlightenment. That said it might be a good idea to check before it really gets cold tonight (coldest in years here according to weatherman) and you have a nasty surprise this spring.

lacoda56

Ever since I had a "nasty surprise" a few years back (long story, don't wanna go there), I only pour 50/50 mix in the cooling system, no matter what! It lets me sleep better.

houdel

Just make sure you anti freeze is rated for HD Diesel service. They require special SCAs ( supplemental cooling additives) to prevent cavitation and eventual rust through of the cylinder walls. The standard Wally World products (Prestone, etc.) will NOT adequately protect your engine. I have found the special HD diesel anti freeze at my local truck stop at for about the same price as Wally World gets for regular automotive antifreeze.

Pinkie

All diesels need SCAs. Especially thr "thin" walled v-8s from the 80s. 6cyl tend to live longer without SCAs but you still need to use them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, check your batteries and make sure they are charged, if not they may crack in the cold.

To check your freeze protection and acidity of your coolant use dip strips, "Cooltrak" shown, costs about $8/jar of 50ea on line. Some coolant mixes require custom test strips, Fleetguard among other.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks