• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be a good option: epoxy

teletech

SPI (Southern Polyurethanes, Inc.) makes all sorts of automotive paint products and they seem to specialize in quality products for the hobbyist and small shop market as their products seem to have larger recoat windows and such. Anyway, I bought some of their DTM epoxy recently and in conversation with the helpful and knowledgeable human (who actually answered the phone!), I mentioned I wished there was a flat paint with good UV and chemical protection like their epoxy, but in military green. Fellow told me that one of the guys had a MV and had mixed up a green epoxy for it. They would have to do a 5-gallon minimum, but they would be happy to match what he did and could perhaps get a closer match if I could provide a sample!
This is a pretty exciting development, sort of a good medium between CARC and house paint in terms of cost, durability, and the rest of it.
Anyway, here's a pic of the truck so painted, see what you make of the color:IMG_5160.jpegIMG_5161.jpeg
Looks too light to me, but as I said, if I can get them a swatch to match and am willing to buy 5-gallons, they might be able to come up with something close.
Datasheet for the epoxy here: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/epoxy-primer
It doesn't like the cold one little bit, so that does make it harder to know how much I like it, but the black I bought and used before winter hit seemed good.

87cr250r

If it is an epoxy paint it will be faded and yellow within a year

Epoxies are essentially polyamide or nylon plastic which is subject to discoloration from UV. Surface tolerant epoxies exist but they shed layers as an ablative coating which gives them a chalky appearance.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks