• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be time for a new project!? To sell or keep current truck? Your thoughts....

Duckworthe

Well, I have been kicking around the idea of building a new truck. I think I might just pull the trigger and do it. I would like to build a 6x6 version of what I have now. I have been very happy with what I have built into this current truck, but I am a fabricator at hard and the heart loves to build! This current truck has been a great truck and I have driven it over 12,000 miles to date with out much of an issue. The alternator was the only item I couldn't fix myself, (I tried and it still ended up at the repair center for repair). Overall the truck only needs some lines replaced at some point to the front axle. They just look a little worn on the outer coverings with some surface cracks. We spent the last Presidents Weekend out at Glamis playing in the dunes. My only thought is do I sell it or just keep it? It is paid for and would only cost registration and insurance. What I have found is this, It doesn't matter how nice your camper build is. It is nicer than 95% of the RV builders out there. I've build RV's in the past so I know how they make them, which also makes me know how Not to make them! But if you are not a name brand RV builder or a full business builder, No bank will loan towards your RV. So that means the person willing to buy your truck/RV must have the cash or must take a high interest personal loan for it. Most don't have $80-100,000 stuffed into a mattress. I don't think I will have a problem selling my RV but it will take the right person, with cash, to come around. It took a bit to find an insurance company that would even insure the RV at the beginning because I built it, Not a name brand company. I can also understand where they (insurance companies) are coming from. They don't know what you have done to build your truck/RV. It could be a total death trap for all they know! I'm sure some of you have dealt or will deal with this in your builds and I hope it was smooth as mine was. I'm sure it will be easy for this RV from here on as it is already registered as an RV in the system as far as registration and insurance goes. But building a new truck and then sourcing the cab AC and all the other things to finish it again? HMMMM...is it worth it all over again? Then again, do I even use this chassis again or go with another totally different truck? I know some have had nothing but nightmares with theirs. However, maybe I just lucked out and got the best one available at the time. Being retired Navy I know that the DOD gets rid of the best trucks and keep the worst sometimes! I would like to go 6 wheel drive in the end, Or 10, one never knows! Your thoughts...... Avator1.jpg

coachgeo

Sell it. Each time you build one you increase the wealth of knowledge others can learn from.. bust most of all it brings you joy as you do it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have 4x4 and 6x6 lmtvs. I never drive my 6x6. Its a novelty but not practical for me. It sits near my older 6x6 trucks that I dont drive either. The 4x4 lmtv is much more maneuverable. Roads are narrow here in CT. I try to move them all a few feet a month so brakes dont get stuck. I would think for off roading you would want the smaller footprint.

dmetalmiki

You obviously have the necessary skills so go for an 8x8!. If it is not good to use for you I would bet there are plenty out there who would jump at the chance to own it.
Coachgeo's comments apply.

Masspilot

I think you need to.improve your skills a little I see a few flaws. Hahahahahahahaha JK good thing we are friends but all serious you are getting a little old sure you can handle it

Duckworthe

Very funny Masspilot. LOL. I'm kicking around a few ideas for the next truck. I am happy with the Military trucks as I have used them through my service and they are easy to fix overall. I may choose a manual transmission on the next one though, just for ease of service and or repair.

Masspilot

Well you are getting old and I know when we spoke you have complained about all those pains you have not felt when you were younger lol

Camel Driver

I say go for it! But, I will admit that I say this for purely selfish reasons as I will be using the 6x6 M1083 to build my own and I'm sure I would benefit from watching you! I will have one requirement that will probably make our builds quite different though. I want mine removable so I can use the truck as a truck when needed. I must say, weather you do or don't make another camper truck, the one you have made is quite impressive and I hope you won't mind if I pick your brain once or twice? ;-)

Duckworthe

No way to convert the current truck to 6x?
I don't think that would be an easy method being that the frame is shorter on my truck then the 6x6 has. I do want more wheels on the ground, but also a bit more length to live in also. Currently my box is 16 foot long. I would like to go 20 foot. It would be nice to have some items placed farther away from certain other locations If you know what I mean! LOL

1951M1078

From my experience you should start the prep work for the new build. ( you have been doing that in you head )
Lots of things to work out and do better.

I have my semi/RV and still need to do the wood work to finish but the pull for the LMTV was to strong.Some day the right person will come along and buy the semi. Its not a problem if it just weights.I have most of the new tools built to do the wood and that will go along with the work on the LMTV.

Like you I find the building almost more fun than the using ? The semi has had 2 rebuilds from when I first started. I just kept seeing things that could be done different and better. This will all go into the LMTV build.

As for the 6x6 ? What about doing a stretch of the your style chassis and maybe doing a air ride in the back ? Leaf springs are so old school.With my box on the chassis it weigh less than the stock bed. I will never get close to what will make the leaf springs work.3/4's of the pack are along for the ride.

So just do it.

Randy

Duckworthe

I think I will build one starting new and use the sale money from this one to offset the new build. You are right Randy, the build is what I like the most. I will not have a problem selling this one I'm sure. Anyone interested in a great camper?! LOL

Aernan

A local guy bought a completed conversion for 20k cash. I know that there is huge market for built up overland vehicles. If you drive it to that meetup in Arizona (overland expo) with a for sale sign it will sell for certain. The folks I know locally get offered cash for their trucks frequently. There are some boards (european) that focus on listing all overlanding rigs on the market. Given the sorry please don't be offended low cost of your rig it will certainly find a buyer quickly. The bliss mobil and others brands end up being 500k-1m price tag.

The photo of your truck looks like a solid build. Will you be focusing on the box only or doing upgrades to the truck as well?

Duckworthe

The photo of your truck looks like a solid build. Will you be focusing on the box only or doing upgrades to the truck as well?[/QUOTE]

I plan on doing the whole project. I always go through the chassis first before even starting on the box. In my opinion, it makes ne sense spending money on a box if the truck isn't 100% first. Otherwise it will be just another house.

Duckworthe

Masspilot,
Thanks for purchasing my truck so quickly. I know that you will love it and now you have two, One for each foot!!! I will let you know when I will be driving it out to you.
Eric

Aernan

The photo of your truck looks like a solid build. Will you be focusing on the box only or doing upgrades to the truck as well?
What I mean is you could do significant chassis upgrades such as:

• Engine swap to a cummins (I don't think it's a good idea but it has been talked about)
  • Significant engine tuning or swap lower power for high power or 3116 to 3126
  • Suspension upgrade
    • convert to coil springs
  • disk brakes
  • shorten or lengthen the chassis
  • relocate intake and crane for more box space
  • custom made winch perch front or rear
  • add high/low transfer case
  • add overdrive to tranmission
  • use a different transmission all together for different gear ratios (I like ZF personally)

From that the only thing I am looking at is engine tuning to get improved fuel economy and longer oil change intervals and lower operating temps in hot climates so I don't heat soak it. Specifically

• newer generation twin scroll turbo for faster spool
  • water/methanol injection for fuel replacement (1/3 fuel economy increase max)
  • wrap intake/exhaust lines for heat rejection
  • oil bypass filter to extend oil life and reduce wear
etc. Sorry I ramble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks