• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mike D's deuce recovery/modification thread

skinnyR1

Not in my experience drivin mine. Maybe a loaded down truck is different, but I was really barely using the brakes. Keep in mind though that I was leaving tons of distance in front of me to where I was aimed.

Idk when I test drove the deuce I was getting it seemed pretty decent on braking, granted like you said you have to drive it like a big truck not a Porsche. I used to have my class b CDL so I'm used to it, but I still plan on adding exhaust cutout type valve to the exhaust and use it as a exhaust brake

phreakboy4

Good to hear you made it home. I can't wait to go pick mine up the end of next month. I'm only driving about and hour and 20 minutes home but I'm kinda freaking out about the brakes giving out or some freak accident. There is quite a few 7% downhill grades coming home through towns.....
Where abouts are you picking yours up from? Im not far from you if you need anything or if you might want a tag along deuce just in case(always up for a cruise) Also if you decide to go to to Aberdeen and take your truck, keep in touch because it looks like a buddy of mine and I will be convoying our deuces down.

I'm in Reading about 15 minutes south of cabelas so your about an hour from me depending on where you are in downingtown. The truck is located near Mount Carmel about a 1.5 hr drive in my jeep. So I'm assuming it's more like 2 hrs or 2.5 hrs in a deuce. I'd be up for a convoy up if you want to drive lol, might not be a bad idea if something would happen.

and idk if I'll drive the truck down to Aberdeen have to see what kind of fuel I have processed by then, but I might depending on my overtime lol.

Also depends on when I get it bobbed. That is the first thing I want to do when I get it, but I have to watch cause there is a mud bog at kempton I'm the spring so the truck has to be running at that time. You should come up for that!!!! The more deuces the better!!!! They might even let us run our own class and them I won't have to run in the semi class

phreakboy4

I'm in Reading about 15 minutes south of cabelas so your about an hour from me depending on where you are in downingtown. The truck is located near Mount Carmel about a 1.5 hr drive in my jeep. So I'm assuming it's more like 2 hrs or 2.5 hrs in a deuce. I'd be up for a convoy up if you want to drive lol, might not be a bad idea if something would happen.

and idk if I'll drive the truck down to Aberdeen have to see what kind of fuel I have processed by then, but I might depending on my overtime lol.

Also depends on when I get it bobbed. That is the first thing I want to do when I get it, but I have to watch cause there is a mud bog at kempton I'm the spring so the truck has to be running at that time. You should come up for that!!!! The more deuces the better!!!! They might even let us run our own class and them I won't have to run in the semi class
I would most likely be game for a run up there, when are you picking it up?

XchaosX

I wouldn't worry about the oil from the slobber tube. When in drove my deuce home from NJ last spring I had quite the mess too. Truck hadn't been run hard in years and I ran it pretty hard to get up the hills in PA. I grabbed a flexible exhaust hose from AA to use as a slobber tube and keep the mess down. My USAF deuce had the tube ran back into the exhaust.

skinnyR1

I drove the truck into work yesterday. Upon closer inspection I discovered it was more than slobber from the slobber tube. The slobber tube did puke oil on my recovery voyage, but I also had a fuel leak from the cold start pump.

I took the pump off today but in doing so bent a copper fitting.

I had to go to eight plumbing stores until I went to carquest to find a oil guage kit that fit.

Got it all back together and no leak so far. The truck fired up in about two minutes even at ten degrees outside. Slobber tube was a 5 minute fix, in heavy snow.

skinnyR1

Ventured out this morning in attempt to go to the DMV. The pump was still leaking, out of a weap hole. The pump is bad. So I bypassed it, and off I went once again.

I got to the DMV, where I was required to get a VIN inspection. Not a whole truck inspection, but only a vin verification. The officer in the lane wouldn't do it because the rear bumper was over 22" high. That had nothing to do with my vin verifcation, but the guy was on a power trip so I was SOL.

So, off I went to find somewhere else to do my vin check. Luckily, any CT emissions station would do a vin check, so I drove 1/2 mile to a shop that did it, and I was all set.

Back to the dmv, and hour later I have antique plates.

I followed that up by finally making my way into work. I was in my office for 30 minutes and security was calling me, because people thought the company was being invaded by the military. No BS, people are ridiculous sometimes.

skinnyR1

I mounted the tires onto the wheels today. It took about 6 hours to do all 6 by myself.

Before I even had the truck, I did a lot of research on wheels and tires, and what the best bang for my buck would be. I considered the recentered wheels, mrap's and a3 wheels. I couldn't even find recentered wheels.

The mrap's were considered, but I really didn't like the idea of that adapter and all the hardware. It drove up the price too.

So I ended up with used a3 wheels and new goodyear mvt's. I read many many posts about the pros and cons of the 395's on the a3 wheels, and the different lip sizes. I dunno, but most of the negative comments and the danger of the different lip size to bead were never backed up with fact, and I saw zero posts with anyone with an actual problem with the set up.

I got the wheels used, as well as the rubber beadlocks. I am running the wheels flipped in the back, so I countersunk all the lug holes.

Putting them all together was a partial learning curve. When all was said and done, I could probably put one together now in about 25 minutes.

I hope to get them on the truck in the next couple days.
Here's some pics of the process. All done with hand tools and a harbor freight 3/4 drive impact.

Attachments

skinnyR1

Got the wheels on today, again by myself. Actually, my son was there to hide hardware on me.

Had some leakers, attributed to faulty hardware or the beadlock wasn't tight enough.

Thank goodness for that harbor freight impact wrench. My compressor certainly got a work out.

Ill get the hardware I need tomorrow and get that 6th wheel on. Looks great, I love it.

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

Just got my first 2 A3 rims on my 395's and man what a workout. I had to dismount them first off of the origanal rims. I only had the loader for help, but was glad for it. What did you use to counter sink the lug nut holes for the rears????

skinnyR1

Kenny sent me a replacement cold start pump, I haven't installed it yet. At the moment it isn't leaking, so once that is installed I will be good to go.

To countetsink, I used a single flute 1 1 /2" countersink on a bridgeport. I did all the wheels so that I can freely rotate then.

skinnyR1

Put a replacement cold start pump on yesterday, and no leaks now.

I did have to remove and track down a couple of leaks on tje 395s. Not fun doing it twice, but that's the risk you take with used wheels.

I ordered a spin on oil filter kit today. Also trying to decide on which muffler to install. I am torn between the huge walker muffler, or the smaller dynomax. I need it to be quiet enough for my kid.

welldigger

Those tires can def be a workout to mount and dismount. Me and a buddy did all 7 of my 395's on a3 wheels.

I have an aeroturbine muffler sitting on my bench. Haven't installed it yet so I can't say how well its going to work. If you don't pkan on turning the fuel up and quiet as possible is your goal then the walker is probably the one you want.

welldigger

Egt's will climb much faster with any muffler that isn't a flow through design. Which is why I selected the aeroturbine. Most of the other full flow mufflers I found were glass packs. I hate glass packs.

skinnyR1

I've read quite a bit about the walker, dynamax, and Donaldson. I haven't even seen any posts about the aeroturbine. Any additional info on it or the model?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks