• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mil painting question

MJones

I have tried the search function so sorry for asking dumb questions.

I have two M1009 CUCV's with camo CARC on them.

I need to do a quick and dirty paint job on them, solid green.

I have a source for the paint, I think it is Gillespie.

I need advice on doing minimal prep, and the use of a brush/roller. I would like to go right over the CARC.

Will a brush/roller look decent if I do it right?

These are PD work vehicles, not a showpiece. Expected lifetime is at least three years before replacement. I have no budget to spray them at the moment and they need to be in service by 15 December.

Thanks,
Mike

Westech

CPL
well you could roll it on but really its going to look like ****. you will need to wash and at least skuff up the old paint. it would be cheaper to just get 19 cans of spray paint (yes its 19 for the blazers and 21 for the pu's) and do it that way. if you just want green get some $2 a can spray paint.

Westech

CPL
hell yeah.. just skuff it up and go.. I had a plow truck I spray bombed and it was holding up 4 years later no prob.. its all in the prep work.. wash sand/skuff wash again and paint.

B3.3T

Ditto on the above, but also, very importantly, you need to go over the prepared surface with Zylene or similar to degrease/oil everything.

oilcan

Man, BUckeyes all over the place!

I did my 715 with spary bombs, but didn't prep very well over the shiny fire dep't yellow paint. Luckily, it only comes off in small chips and touch up is a breeze with a spare rattle can stashed away. Take your time and prep, but buy a few extra cans of paint, too.

dependable

An alternate to spray cans would be to prep it lightly: clean, degrease and scuff as mentioned above, and the use a one coat primer sealer, lighltly scuff for spray nibs, and shoot with enamel of you choice.

N1265

It depends on what you call "decent " Remember a lot of the M880 were cammoed by a PVT. and a 3in. paint brush. The only prep work usually was washing off the mud.

I would go for it ( using a Smooth roller so the roller lines are at a min. height) expecially if the paint is a flat finish.

Hell, If I was on a budget I would even use Laytex House paint... Just about anything on the market will last at least 3 years. some of the newer stuff has a 45 year warranty.

Good enough for the cars in the demo durby at the fair, good enough for the duck boats on the Lake.... Good enough for me !

You should be able to do both M1009s for under $60.00

rivired

id just go spend the 30$ at home depot to get the husty pressurized spray gun..it works excellent and its only 30$...and ull have a pro looking job done if u take at least a little time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks