• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mile Marker Front Winch Troubleshooting Validation

CGFFEMT

Was testing my mile marker front winch (no load) when I was unable to spool in, spool out, or free spool the cable. Following the instructions in the attached troubleshooting guide, it appears I have a failed solenoid coil assembly. I know the controller is good and I had electrical power at the plugs.

I took the opportunity to finally remove the winch from the truck today and after removing the solenoid assembly from the winch's hydraulic motor I was able to free spool the cable again. When placing the winch in either "High" or "Low" the drum will hold the cable in place (as it should) and it doesn't sound like anything is broken within the winch when free spooling by hand. My presumption is that the solenoid assembly failed in a way which prevented fluid to get to the motor (preventing spool in/spool out) but also didn't allow for pressure to be relieved and stalled the winch even when set to free spool.

Applying 24VDC directly the solenoid assembly I didn't see any movement in what I think is the valve assembly which further leads me to think the solenoid assembly is at fault, but would appreciate anyone with more experience being able to confirm or refute my diagnosis before I start throwing money at it.

Thanks.

Attachments

CGFFEMT

Sorry for the lack of an update on this... I had the chance to speak with a [very helpful] mile marker customer support who was able to give me the answer. Luckily it was a simple fix. The nut securing the solenoids to the winch became over tightened, resulting in the solenoid locking shut and preventing flow to the winch motor. Taking the nut off and tightening to just beyond figure tight solved the issued. I finally had the chance to test it this past week at a local ORV area. I'm glad it was a an easy (and cheap!) fix.

Picture of test:
142616edit.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks