• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Milemarker hydraulic winches

MatthewH

I recently purchased a MM hydraulic winch from a fellow ss member and i am trying to install it on my M887 maint. truck. My question involves the feed lines and flow of the p/s fluid

Does it matter which port i use as for the high pressure line?

Thanks in advance

nhdiesel

The winch should be labeled which port is the pressure port. On the pump, the line with the threaded fittings and crimped hose is the pressure hose, the line with just hose clamps on a standard rubber hose is the return line.

Just a suggestion- if you plan to use the winch for anything more than occasional light duty use, instead of tapping into the power steering, install an actual hydraulic pump. Plow pumps are a great cheap dedicated pump.

If you use just the standard power steering pump, I'd get an aux. transmission cooler and use it as a power steering cooler. Run the return line from the winch through the cooler and back to the pump.

Jim

MatthewH

Okay, sorry for this question, but how do i tie the winch into the p/s system? My pump only has 1 high pressure and 1 low pressure port, so do i tee it in at the gearbox, for both the high and low pressure?

Thanks in advance

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you have the right idea. Make sure you post up pics of the completed winch installation so the rest of us don't have to reinvent the wheel . . .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I start off by saying I've never seen the winch in question but I have delt with alot of hydraulics.

Wouldn't the winch have to be plumbed in series with the steering box? For instance, outlet on pump to inlet on winch and outlet on winch to inlet on steering box. Looks to me like if you just "tee" it in the fuild would just take the path of least resistance and neither item would work right. Am I wrong?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M16ty and emmado22 you guys are absolutely correct and I was wrong. The winch is plumbed in series with the steering gear after the winch. Port "P" on the valve is the high side. The Milemarker website has a good troubleshooting guide with plumbing diagrams in the "military" section.

MatthewH

That would be great, but you'll have to hide it elsewhere as the the truck is in the shop and you don't have key. :)
If you would put it with my injector and i'll pick it up later

Thanks

Last edited:

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
check the MIle Marker web site for lots of info. Also, feel free to pm me for my phone number. Installed same winch on Number One Son's M1009. Very easy hyd hook up.

MatthewH

Okay, called around today looking for a 12v solinoid to operate winch since M887 is only 12v. No such luck, but the guy i talked to suggested switching out the coils, which should be readily availible and cheaper than a whole new one.

So i contacted Mile Marker and there part number for the 12v coil is:

MM Part # CAP 012L, $47.25 a piece, and you'll need (2) if converting to 12v also.

Hope this helps others with there winch projects.

Will post pics of setup and bumper when finished

BugEyeBear

Some great info here guys... THANKS! [thumbzup]

Keep sharing your winch installation specifics, & PLEASE post a few pics!! :jumpin:

(BTW: I'm especially interested in any 12V or H1 installation specifics!)

MatthewH

Okay, i've been trying to piece the fittings and hoses togeather and i'm havng a problem identifying the type of fittings us on the steel lines that bolt to the solenoid. MM's website says JIC-6 are used but they don't seem to fit. My seel lines have an aeroquip tag on them.

Thanks in advance

MatthewH

Yeah,i saw those kits, but at $400, i was hoping to source my own lines since i already have the 12v coils for the solenoid. If it comes down to it, I'll have to use the kit.

Thanks

MatthewH

I visited the link and noticed that the number came up as series 35 fitting( fittings for the HI series winches). Do you know if they are the same as the series 34 fittings ( H series winches)?

FYI
Milemarker H series winches have the solenoid that bolt onto the back of the winch, where as the HI series has the solenoid built into it. Just noticed the H series used different part #'s than the HI series

MatthewH

Ok, update, after a couple of days of searching and parts running i finally got everything togeather to finish the project.
I'll get pictures as i finish the project,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks