• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military antenna conversion to AM/FM car radio

papakb

The only time antenna impedance / frequency is important is when transmitting because a bad impedance match will cause power to be reflected back to the transmitter and that can damage the output stage. A receiving antenna gathers RF energy and feeds it to the receiver so in general the longer the antenna is the better it works because it gathers more RF energy out of the air. On a vehicle you have length restrictions but almost anything will work. The VSQ antennas were designed to work on the 420-450 Mhz region but will work fine as a receiving antenna. That's why the "All American" coat hanger is so popular!

Last edited:

kromane

Sorry to be a year late to the party:) Did you use the base AND antenna shown at link or just the base and different antenna? I'd appreciate part#s, description/brand and where you bought base, antenna (if not the military antenna), and antenna wire/connections/information from radio. I'm radio/electronics stupid and there are no brick & mortar radio shacks anymore. Thanks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only have the set up as a static display on my 5 ton not hooked up or functional so I am afraid I can not help.....

I bought on ebay from an electronics liquidator several years ago that were in installations kits with wiring & radio mounts. I flipped some but no longer have any extra.

JEB

Here is a wild idea...
Perhaps you could try the avionics shop at a local general aviation airport? They should know about antennas...at least more than the kid at a car audio shop.

Also, don't some CB radios use long, thick antennas that look like military units? I think I have seen some in 18-wheelers.

Last edited:

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a web-based idea...
Perhaps you could try the avionics shop at a local general aviation airport? They should know about antennas...at least more than the kid at a car audio shop.

Also, don't some CB radios use long, thick antennas that look like military units? I think I have seen some in 18-wheelers.
Looks like a good ole boy... ( your basset Hound ) Lol.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks