• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblcamaros

OK so I have checked the search, tried as many searches as I could think of and nothing. So I am turning to the experts. I have a 1971 AM GEN. M35a2 w a LDS 465. I am looking to replaece my two mismatched civilian batteries ( a 550 cold cranking amp and a 850 cca) with original military batteries. Does any one know where I can find any at? And what are the proper batteries needed for my rig? Thanks.

Heath_h49008

If you want "correct" batteries they are part number 6TL. (each is a 6TL)

But many guys here save lots of money by using more common auto batteries from various sources.

Blemished ones from interstate are quite inexpensive if price is a factor.

Read about Solargizers to keep whatever you get alive.

Hope it helps.

M813A1

You can use Groupm 27 or 31 Batteries they have more cca and are much cheaper then the 6TL govenrment battery !! I have seen 6TL's on EGay for $85.00 each

dblcamaros

Thanks Heath.... I just installed a solargizer I recently bought from Lance Robson. But he also told me that I shouldn't be running to different types of batteries either. Said I'd have problems later. What is a good cranking amp? Maybe 100 ea.?And was only considering the original type batteries cause then I could use the original hold down and j bolts to keep them in place.

mikey

I checked for 6tl about a year and a half ago and the NAPA guy told me NAPA had none of them east of the Mississippi. I bought a matching set of group 27 850cca from wallyworld. I have another matching set of group 27 675cca in my other deuce. Both are fine, although I haven't used the 675cca in cold weather.

Be sure you buy the same battery, but also a L and a R if you want your stock dogbone to reach the proper terminals.

Mikey

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I just recently got a pair of 6tl/6tmf black and brown militry batteries for my M1009.
I got them from my local Napa stores. They cost a bit, but they are worth it.
And they are the proper batteries for military vehicles, so they fit yor battery trays correctly.

And since I have a solargizer mounted on the hood, and it is installed and working properly
the batteries should last awhile now, hopefully with no issues for a long time.
So far they are working great. No complaints at this point either.

Just my $0.02 cents...

Heath_h49008

In the automotive world, I would recommend getting the Group 27s over the 31s. But will both work. 27's are far more common, cheaper, and roughly 1" shorter.

I forget what the part number was for the batteries that would fit 3 in the box. (2 for a 24v system and 1 for a 12v auxiliary system charged by a converter, or second GM 1 wire alternator to run cell chargers and auto-sourced toys)

I'm sure one of the guys will remember.

dblcamaros

Wow! Thanks a lot. I was wondering how the **** I could run my CB in the truck without burning it up. Now I know. If any one can help out with the part numbers for the 3 battery set up so I can run 12v stuff I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I have to ask....Why do we need another Battery thread to add to the hundreds we already have?

I just did an Advanced search. Entered "battery type" and only searched the Deuce forum. There where over 5 pages of threads. No telling how many pages of threads if I looked in all the forums.

I'm leaving this thread open for now but I may close it after I sleep on it.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend it be merged with one of the other existing threads.

ARYankee

Wow! Thanks a lot. I was wondering how the **** I could run my CB in the truck without burning it up. Now I know. If any one can help out with the part numbers for the 3 battery set up so I can run 12v stuff I would greatly appreciate it!!!

tm america sells a 12 volt altenator kit so you can add a 12 volt altenator.

Lex_Ordo

I paid 135.00 a piece for my 6TLs and that was straight from the Interstate warehouse. That number may be a wholesale price, from my mechanic though.
Go to your local garage, that carries Interstate, and have the owner call up his supplier, and tell him to order the batts. They'll be on the next truck.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-6TL(Commercial).aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk%7eSearchGroup%7c6tl%7c3%7c%2cNy%7eTrue%2cNtpc%7eDisabled%2cNs%7eproduct+Type%7c101%7c1%7c&Title=Light+Truck%2fVan+Mega-Tron+-+825+CCA

I found another source online too.
http://www.usbattery.com/usb_us6tl_mil.html

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just use NAPA commercial batteries, NOT 6TLs. Something like 1,100 CCAs each.

Merge the thread because I know I have answered the question before as well.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question is: Which of the hundreds of threads would be the best one to merge with?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks