• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military "Cattle-Cars"

The cattle cars were at FT Leonard Wood in 1971 when I went through basic training. They were used to transport the Snuffies to the ranges and back. I don't remember what tractor pulled the car except that they were civilian models; probably Fords or Jimmys. I can't find a picture, but I'm told by relatives who were here in Dayton at the time that cattle cars were used to transport workers from Dayton to Wright Field during WW II. Useful trucks.

jleonardindy

I rode in my first cattle car after an outing to the night firing range on Camp Pendleton during boot camp in 1977, then drove many of them on Camp Lejeune, until being hit head on by a sleeping driver, totaling the tractor, and sending me to the hospital along with a couple of others, in 1983. There is a be'before' pic, aafScan_20151117 (2) [267438].pngScan_20151117 (3) [266904] (1).pngScan_20151117 (5) [267877] (1).pngScan_20151117 (6) [266903] (1).png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks