• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military CUCV Suburban (CDN Military)

M1031CMT

Thought I would post some pics of a truck I found at a local place for sale.

Is a 1983 Suburban, 1.25ton, 4x4, gasser. And was a military truck which is real odd as I had never heard of one up here. We had the pickup's and the ambulances but never anything else (or so I thought). Is is definitely a military truck, and not something that has been modified as it has the original style CDN military bumper and 24v system. Also under the blackish paint job you can see the camo paint around the edges where they didn't get it all.

Forgot to take pics of the inside of the cab but it is super clean. Even the seats are in great shape.

2012-12-10_15-02-36_613.jpg2012-12-10_15-15-07_512.jpg

The guy just wants it out of the yard and said he would sell it to me for cheap if I wanted it. Though I already have enough trucks in the yard so I will likely pass on it (even though I would love to have it).

Just thought I would post it up as I had never seen one before.

M1031CMT

No I didn't really get a good look at it. Was there due to a 6.2L from a CUCV the owner was going to dump in the scrap bin (even though it was still working) so I was busying looking at that more than anything else.

Tried looking at a few places to get info on it but as I said before, I was never even aware that the military had them. I can only guess that they were bough in small quantities for the reserves. They have bough some odd trucks over the years for the reserves so that wouldn't surprise me too much.

There is a standard 12v alternator on the engine along with the 24v generator you can see in the picture of the engine bay. The dash looks pretty stock from GM except for the extra 24v gauge.

Other than that everything looks pretty stock on the vehicle except for the "blackish" paint job.

Will see about taking a drive over next week to take a closer look.

forest522

I spy what appears to be the AC compressor in there! If you can that may be worth a second look. If you were in the market for a 6.2 project rebuilt, etc. check that engine to see if it is one of the famed 'red blocks'. Did you buy his other 6.2?

M1031CMT

Got his 6.2L pretty much for free. It was running well he said and they drove the truck over there with the 6.2L in the truck. But he wanted the truck for the cab/chassis, so is the reason why he wants to dump the 6.2L.

Don't remember if it has AC. The big black cylinder in the pic is the 24v generator. Will see when I go take a look again on Monday.

Last edited:

K9Vic

This is a Canadian vehicle, they did things differently for the Canadian Military. So I am not surprised that a Suburban CUCV type vehicle was provided to them by GM.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And being it's both a MV and a heavy 4x4, it would be a great addition. Just gotta get it down here.

Gman, I replied first, so let me have first shot, OK? Hopefully see you tomorrow and we can discuss this one. j

M1031CMT

Never got around to going back so far as I have been busy with work as well as the weather being pretty crappy here lately.

Not sure if he would be willing to sell it to someone else. He only just got the truck and the only reason he offered to sell it to me was because he knew I was into military vehicles. But I can ask. I mainly posted about it out of curiosity as I know there have been a few threads asking if there were actually any military Suburbans and I was just surprised to have found one.

Will let you guys know what I find when I do make it over there. Will at least take more pictures next time.

mudman

It has no AC, just look at the heater on the fire wall, it's just that a heater. I don't see a compressor,I see a huge Alternator though!!1

blueblaze

An older friend of mine worked in the Canadian military as a mechanic during the 80's. I showed him the picture of the engine bay. He says remembers them well. He said some canadian trucks has diesels and some had 350's. They were totally identical trucks just one gas and one diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks