• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Diecast Collection

DanM7890

Wanted to start my collection and was curious what everybody else has built. I'm going to build a M1078 with a M1082 trailer and a S280 shelter on it. I got lucky and snagged an ITALERI shelter that is the 12' ones unlike the 20' ISO ones they only make now.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For diecasts, I still have most of my old Dinky military series, Corgies, etc. from when I was a kid (I grew up in the 60's-70's on the other side of the Atlantic). I have added a few more later ones.

For plastic, I have as much of my own vehicles, and a number of other club members vehicles, as are available in 1/87 or HO scale. Sort of a parade in miniature.
Most of them are Minitanks, with some Trident, and a few other kit makes.

In 1/35th, I have mostly gathered kits, haven't done much building in recent years. I was a prolific builder into my 30's, then it got sidelined by life. I'm just recently trying to get back into it.
I am in the process of adding a resin kit M813 cab to the Italeri M923 (M925?) kit to build a replica of my truck. Then I'm going to start on that box full of Hobbyboss V100's!

Hobbyboss and Trumpeter are making some really nice stuff in 1/35th now. The Italeri kits are usually a good basis, but for some reason they don't ever seem to get the tires right. But you can get all sorts of accurate tires in resin.

Cheers

DanM7890

I have searched all over on the Trumpeter site. I even called them to see if they're making the 12' shelters and they said no. My M1078 and M1082 which should be here tomorrow are a Trumpeter kit. Any recommendations on glue or paint? Should I shop local at the hobby shop or order online?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always suggest shop local first, even if it costs a bit more. I liked Testors liquid cement for big joints, and Tenax-7r for most everything else. I think Tenax may have been discontinued, so here is where your hobby shop can help, by suggesting a modern alternative.
Tenax, and whatever replaces it, is a very thin liquid that you apply to a joint with a small paint brush. It will wick along join lines and makes a strong bond. Takes just a little practice to get really good with it.

Super glue has its place too, particularly when attaching resin bits, or metal. Do NOT use it near transparent parts, like your windshield!! It will "frost" your glass. Elmer's glue is good for attaching glass. You can apply it with a toothpick, and it dries clear. Makes a good filler for small cracks, and you can "sand" it with a damp cloth. Carefully, or it will soften and pull out. But then you just redo it.
You can also make small windows with Elmers, by running it around inside the edge, and then webbing it toward the center. Again, it dries clear, but its best to coat it with gloss varnish.

One last hint - always paint the entire wheels on kits that have rubber tires, because after a year or so, the rubber tends to react with the plastic and dissolve your wheel (!) Paint between the plastic and rubber prevents this.

As far as I know, Italeri made the only available plastic S-280 shelter. There may be some resin stuff. It all tends to be spendy, though.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And stay away from tube cement!! There are no viable uses for that stuff!

There are a lot of really good, and accurately coloured, model paints available now. I grew up using Humbrol enamels and paint brushes, but old dogs can learn new tricks, and the modern acrylics are really great, particularly if you are airbrushing. Using denatured alcohol as a thinner, and water to clean up, beats all the other smelly chemicals.

Your hobby shop is hopefully staffed with modellers, and they can be a font of knowledge on the latest products.

Cheers

DanM7890

Got the S280 glued up. The shelter will be all the same color so I will paint it when I paint the truck and trailer. Started cutting the M1082 pieces out last night.

Attachments

DanM7890

M813rc, went to the local hobby shop and picked up a black glue bottle with the fine tip and a sharp blade cutter to get the pieces off and to clean them up. So far so good, thanks for all the recommendations.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to be of some help. :) Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Try that brush on glue too, you'll like it. It is great for doing long seams like the sides of the shelter, etc.

I use a toenail clipper to cut parts off the sprue (that tree thingy they come on). That way you never stress the plastic. Clear parts in particular tend to be very brittle, and can easily get visible stress cracks when cutting them off with a knife.

I bid on a real M1082 the other day, but a couple of others must have wanted it really badly, it went for twice the usual sale price. :-?

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks