• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Dodge with Perkins Diesel?

84cucv1009

Back in1996 i wnt to a local scrapyard and wreckersevice to buy some "new"
Tires for my M880. The owner of the company was a czech guy who bouhgt
some Dodge D200 crewcab trucks to convert them into tow trucks. He also sold some surplus parts and tires for this trucks.
When i was in his shop, i saw in an edge of the shop an mid seventies Dodge
W300 cab and chassis truck with dual rears, no bed and military paint.
All i could see is that the truck was in good shape (in 1996) and i ask what is
whith this truck, so the owner told me it was for sale and it has an Perkins
inline sixcylinder diesel engin whith about 160 hp. i couldn´t believe it and ask
him about a cummins swap, but he says no no it is a perkins the cummins is in his other civilian D350 towtruck.
Since this i search on information about dodge trucks whith perkins diesel, but
the only thing i found was the Mitsubishi diesel engine in the late seventies.
Who has an idea ?

trog

Dodge offered the 354 Perkins option in the 1967 3-ton, of which I had two that served me for many miles. These were flatbed trucks and would get 20 miles per gallon at 55 mph, without a load, if I had ventilated racks behind the cab. With solid racks the mileage was 15mpg at 55 mph.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dodge started using the engine in the early 60's heavy duty trucks (500 and 600 series). From what I understand there was a couple of special order 1 ton (300 series) 4x4 trucks built with the engine. Some info about it can be seen at:

Big Dodge Trucks:'61-'71 Dodge Truck Website

I have several scanned images from Dodge truck brochures from the 60's and 70's on my dodge-semis.com web site that have info about the Perkins diesels in heavy duty Dodge trucks. I think they used them up till the mid 70's.

1962 Dodge Truck Diesel Power Brochure

1964 Dodge Truck Gas & Diesel Engine Brochure Pages 12 & 13

As far as military use I don't think they were bought by the military with a Perkins but I think there were some companies that specialized in converting ex-military Dodges to Perkins power.

Ruppster
www.dodge-semis.com