• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Dozer Men? Allis Chalmers HD6M Air Droppable

orangeman

Guys: As a christmas present to myself, I bought an Allis Chalmers Manual entitled,

Allis Chalmers HD 6M Air Droppable Crawler. The manual is chocked full of information about the machine. I manual illustrates all the parts of the tractor and some special equipment.

Since I have an early Tractomotive HD6 G that manual will come in handy to support that machine.

Question to you fine gents, have any of you seen these machines or better yet have any of you run these dozers.

Looks to me that the were produced and delivered to DoD during the early Nam years.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thank-you ....Orangeman :D

orangeman

Guys: Haven't been on here in a good while, just bumping this thread to see if any of you are familiar with the Allis Chalmers HD6 Crawler or Track Loaders?

Those machines were sure built He__ for stout.

Working on rebuilding a 1957 AC HD6 G Shovel and hope to have it running soon.

Any comments on the Military HD6 Air Drop Dozer would be appreciated!

Thank-you...Orangeman

Danger Ranger

Pics or its not real...
Grandpa has not one but two HD3? dozers to farm and excavate with. He only had one at a time, and it was replaced by a 1954 John Deere 70.

orangeman

Hello Danger Ranger: Yes, the HD3 is an Allis Crawler with a 175 Cu. Inch Diesel Engine, very economical to operate. Production between 1960 - 1968. Not sure if any found there way to Nam. Sorry, only picture I have are in my AC Crawler books, I have no scanner to scan them.

They HD 6M Allis Chalmers Military Dozer does exist. I have seen pictures of them in a Military Museum..

Take Care...Orangeman

battlecr

The rear engine dozers where built by EIMCO. I've been around civilian HD-6's you saw alot on farms. Not as tough as a Cat.

Don G.

Danger Ranger

Hello Danger Ranger: Yes, the HD3 is an Allis Crawler with a 175 Cu. Inch Diesel Engine, very economical to operate. Production between 1960 - 1968. Not sure if any found there way to Nam. Sorry, only picture I have are in my AC Crawler books, I have no scanner to scan them.

They HD 6M Allis Chalmers Military Dozer does exist. I have seen pictures of them in a Military Museum..

Take Care...Orangeman
If their production only goes back to 1960, then I have the wrong model. How's HD5 sound?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys: Haven't been on here in a good while, just bumping this thread to see if any of you are familiar with the Allis Chalmers HD6 Crawler or Track Loaders?

Those machines were sure built He__ for stout.

Working on rebuilding a 1957 AC HD6 G Shovel and hope to have it running soon.

Any comments on the Military HD6 Air Drop Dozer would be appreciated!

Thank-you...Orangeman

Something like this.

Attachments

orangeman

11 Echo: That is the machine - an Allis Chalmers HD 6 M Air Droppable Dozer! Where to heck did you find that photo?

BattleCR - The HD6 G (Shovel) is what I could afford, you mention they are not as tough as Cat - nor do they consume the fuel of a Cat and they are far simpler to work on than a Cat. But then again, since the machine will be working here on a Christmas Tree farm doing very small grading and loading., toughness at the end of the day was not a primary decision point. As an aside
the contractor doing the work on expansion of the White House under the Truman Administration used Allis Chalmers HD5 shovel to do the grunt work, the HD6 is the same except it is a Buda 4 cylinder. So if it was strong enough for that work I hope it to be strong enough for my small residential hobby farm work.

Danger Ranger - The Allis Chalmers HD5 goes back to the 1947/48 time frame and were equipped with Detroit Diesels. The frame, transmission and sheet metal are similar to the HD 6. The HD 6's came in 1955 and replaced the HD5. They were designed with the Buda HD-344 later early 60's the HD-344 were upgrade to Direct Injection and named the 6000 engine still with 344 cu. inches. Mid 60's saw Allis add a turbo to the 6000 engine jumping the horse power over 100.

Now to my question does anyone know what applications the Buda later Allis HD-344, 6000 and 7000 engine were stuffed into besides crawlers and shovels. There was a fellow on here looking for parts and listed a reference number of the generator that the 7000 engine was hooked to but unfortunately the name of the manufacturer was not provided. Can someone shine a light on the company that used the AC 7000 diesel in their gen sets.

Thanks Guys for all the replies and be well!!! Orangeman

orangeman

11 Echo: That is the machine - an Allis Chalmers HD 6 M Air Droppable Dozer! Where to heck did you find that photo?

BattleCR - The HD6 G (Shovel) is what I could afford, you mention they are not as tough as Cat - nor do they consume the fuel of a Cat and they are far simpler to work on than a Cat. But then again, since the machine will be working here on a Christmas Tree farm doing very small grading and loading., toughness at the end of the day was not a primary decision point. As an aside
the contractor doing the work on expansion of the White House under the Truman Administration used Allis Chalmers HD5 shovel to do the grunt work, the HD6 is the same except it is a Buda 4 cylinder. So if it was strong enough for that work I hope it to be strong enough for my small residential hobby farm work.

Danger Ranger - The Allis Chalmers HD5 goes back to the 1947/48 time frame and were equipped with Detroit Diesels. The frame, transmission and sheet metal are similar to the HD 6. The HD 6's came in 1955 and replaced the HD5. They were designed with the Buda HD-344 later early 60's the HD-344 were upgrade to Direct Injection and named the 6000 engine still with 344 cu. inches. Mid 60's saw Allis add a turbo to the 6000 engine jumping the horse power over 100.

Now to my question does anyone know what applications the Buda later Allis HD-344, 6000 and 7000 engine were stuffed into besides crawlers and shovels. There was a fellow on here looking for parts and listed a reference number of the generator that the 7000 engine was hooked to but unfortunately the name of the manufacturer was not provided. Can someone shine a light on the company that used the AC 7000 diesel in their gen sets.

Thanks Guys for all the replies and be well!!! Orangeman

orangeman

Guys: Sorry about the double post! My fingers are too fat from milking!

Wolfen: Your Grandfather had much wisdom owning a Allis Chalmers HD5 - great machine.

battlecr

Orangeman, I don't remember the engine number but our fire department had a big Allis-Chalmers 6 cylinder diesel engine in it. It was a 30KW Military Surplus Generator. Saw alot of AC powerplants in crushers and such.

Don G.

bearboley

Every HD-5 I have ever seen was sitting in the weeds with a final drive torn up,and all the buda powered hd-6's had windows in the motor. Allis Chalmers could not hold a candle to a cat dozer as far as longevity but a HD-16 will shove more dirt in a day than a old D-8 and where alot cheaper to buy back in the day. But a IH TD-25 will bury them both.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every HD-5 I have ever seen was sitting in the weeds with a final drive torn up,and all the buda powered hd-6's had windows in the motor. Allis Chalmers could not hold a candle to a cat dozer as far as longevity but a HD-16 will shove more dirt in a day than a old D-8 and where alot cheaper to buy back in the day. But a IH TD-25 will bury them both.

Get one of these and bury everything.

Attachments

orangeman

Hello Echo11: Yes the HD-41 was a monster dozer. I have seen one around here that is badged Fiat Allis. Was used to work on the 8th wonder of the world the St. Lawrence Seaway.

BearBoley: I am not much into comparisons, I do know that from an Engineering standpoint that you can find any make that has failures, including Cats!! Have seen many of them dead.

The purported final drive issue that you mention was due in large part to lack of proper maintenance and keeping the bearings to the final drive properly lubricated. I think the fact that Allis sold over 25,000 of the HD5 and HD6's is testament that they were good machines.

I like the Allis line of crawlers due to the fact that I am familiar with their repair. Any of the old dozers/shovels that were used within their design capacity would last a fellow a long time. Generally speaking - operators who hop on a machine and don't have a nickle in it who think their Hercules wind up with issues in the finals.

Echo11 keep those wonderful photo's of the Allis Dozer comin!

Thank-you...Orangeman

Wolfen

Thank you orangeman. I sold it for $6300.00. I was the third generation to own it. It was passed down to my father then to me. I'll have to post the pictures of it that I took. It is now owned by a guy in the Tacoma Washington area. My father paid a guy to restore it about 10 years ago. The Engine only had 62 hours on the clock since the restoration. It had a 8' wide two way Blade and a Roof on it. I remember my grandfather using it to make roads and push around brush and trees on the family farm. I don't it ever breaking down. :)