• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military equipment to LE suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1A1

A lot of the local PDs around here have been returing the M16A2s they got from Unc. Sugar back in the 90s and are buying civilian M4 clones. From what I was told, the depts don't want the hassel associated with owning (Fed) gov't property that is on loan to them. The compliance checks are apparently a PITA.
Matt

91W350

It is really hard to get them all back in the locker for inspection day when they are issued to units all over the county. I am out of LE now, but it usually took a few days to get all of ours rounded up. Glen

L1A1

From what I was told, The depts also didn't like the feds coming in and eye ball'n everything else in the armory.

Here's some MV content: It's not only boomsticks that these depts are dumping, it's also vehicles. The local Sheriff's office got rid of their peacekeeper Not because of the above mentioned reasons but, because it was old & didn't work half the time. Because it was on the 1031 program(?) it had to go to another dept (beleive me, I inquired;)) whitch was also a giant PITA.
Matt

It was only for the weapons. They are doing a physical inventory. My guess is a dept either lost some and didn't report it or they actually found a way to trade some weapons in....which is prohibited.

None of the other things are effected at this time. We just picked up some computers and another HMMWV last week at Wright Patterson AFB.

Agreed....some agencies will screw the program up for everyone.

They have been adding tons of new items to the website and actually are launching a new, improved website for screening items effective August 27th. When I was at Wright Patterson AFB last week, they had several pallets of computers (HP, Dell, etc) Lots of furniture and even a refrigerator.

L1A1

It was only for the weapons. They are doing a physical inventory. My guess is a dept either lost some and didn't report it or they actually found a way to trade some weapons in....which is prohibited.
I know with the local depts around here, the issue was trying to get all of the 'issued" weapons back into the armory (from officer's vehicles) for the inspection. Giant PITA....I guess.
Matt

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to a local auction a few weeks ago. It was a police dept selling surplus military equipment. They had 5-ton tractors with lowboy trailers, excavators, trenchers, bulldozers, dump trucks, etc. This is the police dept mind you. What would they need with all that type equipment? I'm thinking they just get anything the government will give them, keep it for the prescribed amount of time, and then sell it for funds. IMO this is abusing the system. All they are is a surplus dealer that gets equipment for near nothing and reselling it retail.

Maybe I should start my own FD or something so I can get all the free stuff.

Ma Duce

I went to a local auction a few weeks ago. It was a police dept selling surplus military equipment. They had 5-ton tractors with lowboy trailers, excavators, trenchers, bulldozers, dump trucks, etc. This is the police dept mind you. What would they need with all that type equipment? I'm thinking they just get anything the government will give them, keep it for the prescribed amount of time, and then sell it for funds. IMO this is abusing the system. All they are is a surplus dealer that gets equipment for near nothing and reselling it retail.

That is exactly what is going on. I know of one PD that got 5 tn dumps and a dozer to build a range, 915 and more and plan on dumping the stuff next year to pay for new squads

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

One of the trenchers they sold was a Vermeer tracked machine with rock teeth. Had a grand total of 50 hrs on it. It looked brand new. I think it sold for $40,000+. On a dealers lot that thing will bring $80,000+. I just don't understand why the military would get rid of something almost new like this.

lost in the bush

LOst and Found

None of the other things are effected at this time. We just picked up some computers and another HMMWV last week at Wright Patterson AFB.

You 100% Correct.
Feds are doing an audit of weapons "Loaned: to LEO.
As I understand the situation from inside sources they could not account for over 18% in their initial inventory.

LEO Dept. now have 90 days to locate Missing Rifles or explain loss of same.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was contacted by a nearby city that wanted to get rid of an almost "brand new" M35A2 and 2 - yup TWO !!! - M113 Tracked APC's. ONLY after I started asking the REAL questions about ownership and their "authority" to sell them off did they start checking into how they acquired them in the first place.

The young "amateurs" now employed by the municipality suddenly reallized that the Green Stuff wasn't theirs to sell and they if they did so they could be facing time in FEDERAL PRISON.

In the end, they thanked me for the education and guidance and with much regret told me that the Army will be picking up the APCs for "Range Target Duty" (aka DESTRUCTION) - most probably at either Ft. Bliss or Ft. Hood, Texas. And that Deuce.... Well we can only hope she goes to GL for auction and a "new life" in the OD GREEN HOBBY. (Her guages read 52 hours and 210 miles since a complete rebuild just prior to being DRMO'd to the city's PD.)

Dodge man

I used to go to government equipment sales at a nearby AFB and the local SD/ PDs would come pouring in just before the sale opened and take EVERYTHING in sight that was worth anything! They "hold" it a year or two and are then free to sell it or just give to city/county officials and some of their own officers and they in turn sell it anywhere they want to including E-Greed, CL and flea markets. The flea markets around here were FLOODED with surplus equipment some of it was VERY expensive when new. They no longer sell the stuff locally instead a company named Levy-Lathum has a contract to buy all of it and the government pays to ship it to them in Wash DC and, I'm told, they grind it up for scrap metal!

It's a racket!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a news story in the local fishwrapper, and it highlighted a small town in Ga with 700 souls, that had a boat, scuba gear(no water nearby) decon units, and other stuff to the tune of 4 million dollars.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They no longer sell the stuff locally instead a company named Levy-Lathum has a contract to buy all of it and the government pays to ship it to them in Wash DC and, I'm told, they grind it up for scrap metal!
They (Levy-Lathum) are the parent company of Government Liquidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks