• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Extinguishers and their refilling...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a quick question - I heard the fire extinguishers used on MVs from the 1970s up through the early 1990s were filled with Halon, which has since been banned from manufacture due to problems with it being considered a greenhouse gas. That being said, is there a way to refill these old halon-type fire extinguishers with other material, to keep the thing original looking, or are you better off just finding a newer ABC-type extinguisher?

DanMartin

I've been down this road...you can get them refilled, but it is hard to find and very expensive (a bit like trying to refill an R-12 AC system, only harder). Halon is still allowed for certain high-risk applications, but since it's not produced in large quantities any longer, it's very expensive.

I would go with an ABC bottle. You can get them at Costco for minimal investment. A bit more cleanup if used, but probably less than the *fire* you're trying to put out. :)

FrankUSMC

I never seen Halon issued with a truck. It does not leave any residue, and if you are fighting a fuel fire, that makes it easy for the fire to reflash. Note, Halon WILL KILL you very fast. It displaces the air in your lungs. We lost a Marine here back while I was in. He was in an open warehouse unpacking some "empty" halon extengusers. As he picked up one, he tested it to see if it was empty. Other Marines stated just a little Halon shot out of the extenguser, the Marine dropped the extenguser, and just dropped to the floor. Just a little Halon killed him.
I have used Halon to fight a CH46 engine fire, it would put the fire out, but the fire kept on reflashing. Did not like it for fighting fires, the only good thing about it, it does not leave a mess.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

acetomatoco

Be sure you have a new fresh civvy one in your vehice. If you want to display an old one like a Carbon Tet or halon, Put a sign on it "display only do not use". Have the fresh one in a easy to get at place. Most antique car shows require you to have a new one and display it at the LF tire (Don't use it as a chock).

jasonjc

Most of the truck fire extinguisher are "purple-k" per the dash 10. It a dry type compond. I think it's better than the ones you get at the big box stores, but not shure.

Just looked up purple-k and as i thought it is the most effective for fuel (class B) fires.

Re: RE: Military Fire Extinguishers and their refilling...

jasonjc said:
Most of the truck fire extinguisher are "purple-k" per the dash 10. It a dry type compond. I think it's better than the ones you get at the big box stores, but not shure.
I agree purple K or PKP is good stuff, we use it aboard ship for bravo/flammable liquid fires........... making it an ideal choice for large trucks, we used them in fire school a few years back and they are very effective. Refilling a Halon extinguisher with anything but Halon is questionable, however CO2 is a good substitute if you're looking for an oxygen displacing agent I still don't think you can put it back in the same bottle but who knows.......

as far as the cost is concered, buy an ABC, or just a BC.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Military Fire Extinguishers and their refilling.

We still have some here at the plant I work at as a clean agent extinguishing system for one of the control/MCC rooms. To Frank's point, if the discharge alarm rings it is time to exit because it totally floods the space with Halon. The only Halon left is reclaimed($$$) and while my supplier can get it we are slowly moving to other agents like FM200. I don't think you can legally put anything but Halon in a Halon bottle - CO2 bottles are heavier due to the much higher pressure.

We got to shoot Purple K from a large wheeled unit on a flammable liquid fire at school - good stuff and very effective. For vehicles, I've been installing a minimum of 5lb ABC drychems although some of the loaders and tractors carry 10lbs due to the large volumes of hydraulic oil and the hot times that can result ;)

Capt'nChaos

Not sure about MV but I know that in the early '80's they replaced the old CB extinguishers on our planes(KC-135A) with Halon. Shortly after that they discovered that halon rips up the ozone layer pretty good and the civilian world has moved away from it.

Interestingly, Halon extinguishes fire by disrupting the chemical chain reaction of fire which is why we now teach the "Fire Tetrahedron" theory(fuel, oxidizer, heat, & chemical chain reaction) instead of the "fire triangle."

Purple K (the "K" is for potassium) is an excellent extinguishing agent for fuel fires. If you do decide to get a PK extinguisher, you'll probably have to go to a fire equipment or extinguisher dealer as they are not commonly in high demand. I think a good quality 5 or 10 lb. unit with a metal valve head (so it can be recharged) would be a good choice for your average Deuce. The one thing I'm not sure of is if there is any potential issues with damage to engine/vehicle components from the extinguishing agent.

If you decide not to go with PK as the agent then I would still go with a 5 or 10lb. metal head ABC or BC extinguisher. In any case it's cheap insurance to protect your "baby.":wink:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Fire depts out here won't do it. We don't even do our own anymore and usually just buy new ones if the are the small dry chem type, Co2 we get recharged. Cost of a new dry chem is only a few bucks more than a refill. Co2 is nice as you can use it for a for a run away motor. M1 tanks were outfitted with on board Halon system but our portables in the BII were dry chem and Co2 . If a M1 system is discharged it is refitted with Co2.

jfnemt1ff1

Look in the phone for a place that fills fire ext. They should fill it for you, when I was back in Michigan and on the fire dept I would wait till they came in and give them to him. One time he had to send one out to get it tested with presure if it has been so many years since its last fill.
John

jfnemt1ff1

Richfield Twp. St. Helen close to houghton lake. Was also a Paramedic and that caused be to have PTSD so we moved to Iowa so I could get away from the things. I am got good with names I might have seen you at some of the shows in Mi, I had a M725 along with gama goat.
John

rmgill

You can get new Halogenated (not Halon) extinguishers if you want a Clean Agent. Look for Halotron or something similar for computer rooms.

moose53

the extinguishers on the M151's were halon. as far as looks go a red bottle is a red bottle. you would have to read the label to tell if it was halon or co2....

jim

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen reference to "CFBr" in an old PS magazine, is that equivalent to "Halon"?
(Could Google it but it may shed some light on things here)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks