• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

sixgunm37

Hi Sean...

I signed up a a couple of years ago but did'nt find much International or USMC truck stuff mostly newer M-stuff not to say that stuff is not cool but I am in my fifties and I like the earlier stuff from the forties and fifties. So I lurked from time to time but tired of that quickly. Just recently a person on SS contacted me about an ad I ran and told me about the Military wheeled fire apperatus section.
Never thought to look in the CCKW forum.:roll:
On another subject is anyone going to the Muster in Southern Cal this weekend?
Always good stuff might find those JB firemaster fog nozzles their who knows.
There will be a wildland display Friday and an antique display Saturday.
Usually several Military rigs show up and parts.
Look here for info. Scrool down the home page about halfway.
Home Page
Or go directly to the Southern Cal collectors page.
Crown Firecoach Enthusiasts
:)

Hi frank I have heard your name several times from IH collectors and friends on the east coast.
International collectors are in a microcosm all to ourselves.
I have pictures of your trucks nice rigs. Can't remember who gave them to me.
Did you know Shirley Laird? He is the person responible for me getting the IH bug. I got the apperatus bug on my own.:-D
:)

tamangel

On another subject is anyone going to the Muster in Southern Cal this weekend?
Always good stuff might find those JB firemaster fog nozzles their who knows.
There will be a wildland display Friday and an antique display Saturday.
Usually several Military rigs show up and parts.
Sixgun, any chance you could take pics on rigs and pumps and/or gather info on any Military Rigs that show up and post here?

I'll be attending the State Championship in Fortuna in August..

Mike

tamangel

Converted: M35A2 to Tank Truck

ebay auction # 330313647588
auction ended Mar-20-09
unknown if sold US $2,700.00 was buy it now price
had 4 offers..
1970 M35A2 2-1/2 ton hard top truck. White multi-fuel non turbo. Set up with an, approximately, 1200 gallon water tank and four spray nozzles at front. The ball valve is set up inside beside the drivers seat. A hole has been cut beside the seat with a lever run through. The pipe has been disconnected at the ball valve for reasons unknown. The tank pump was robbed off the truck before I bought it. Three holes are cut in the dash for toggle switches. The engine fires right up and runs and drives well. The tires are pretty worn for prolonged highway use, but have off-road life left. The truck has 14,821 miles and 547 hours. This truck will drive home with no problem. Air actuated front axle engages and the 6x6 works well. Left windshield has two cracks at bottom and it needs wiper blades. Passenger seat has tears. Drivers seat okay. Solid truck. I have the SF-97 and will be filing for a title. Located in Benton, AR. 72019

no connection w/ seller

Mike

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

Milfireguy's photo dated here 01-26-2009 seems for me to be a chemical warefare truck, later used as a NBC substuite standard truck. The German Army used the same boby work on the CCKW chassis in the second half of the 50's as NBC-trucks for decontaminating larger areas. My be some of them also were used as fire trucks. But to my information they were equiped with a water tank, a smaller solution tank, a engine driven pump, a mixing unit and siutable hose equipment. Same equipment later was used on the M35 series trucks with a sprayer set under the front bumper or handheld sprayers for two men (Of course in full body protection). The water tankand solution tank were heatable.
Wolf

tamangel

Attachments

milfireguy

sixgunm37 What can you tell me about the Camp Pendelton fire truck, any pixs.

Attached is a pix of a 1943 Chev-General Detroit Class 325 Army fire truck that has just been restored by Mr. R.H. van 't Oost in Belgium. Great looking rig.

Attachments

tamangel

1943 Chevrolet Military Firetruck, 4x4

ebay # 320360724665
auction ended Apr-22-09 14:22:10 PDT
sold w/ 14 bids for $5900.00
info only, no connection w/seller

1943 Chevrolet Military Firetruck, 4x4
Vehicle Description
Military Firetruck in Excellent Condition!
No rust ever! Wooden steering wheel. Sheet metal, tires, glass and interior are all in great condition.
Includes pump, large tank, hoses, and two side hose reels.
This would be an excellent candidate for restoration. A historical vehicle, this was in a museum for many years following the War. Too many projects forces sale.
Presently not running, but wouldn't take much to get her going.

one question posted:
Q: What a beautiful truck! I'm making contact with one of my truckers right now to get an idea of shipping to AZ. My query to you - such a perfect job in making a piece of firefighting equipment! Do you suppose this had been a truck supplied in this manner from the factory, or perhaps it was done post-war by or for a municipality as a conversion? Any ideas? Might you have an idea of the tank capacity, and lastly, in the event I can convince my trucker in hauling it for me, would you be available to help in any way when he got on site for some limited assistance? Thanks! - Robert in PHX

A: Robert, this truck is an example of one model of firetruck built during WW2. For more about these trucks, visit Vehicles of Victory. com. This particular vehicle has had a modification of the tank, and a larger one was installed. Post war would be my guess, as the original only held 250 gallons, and probably leaked. I don't know the capacity, and I would be happy to assist with loading. Thanks, Bill

Mike W

Attachments

tamangel

Biederman crash trucks

interesting rigs that I haven't seen before:

Pic #1: 1953 Biederman MB-1 Navy

Pic #2: 2 more Navy versions, one a Biederman MB-1 and the other a Marmon-Harrington Clone..

info from the American Truck Historic Society..

one reference book cited: "Fire Apparatus Photo Album of the Crash-Fire-Rescue Units" by Timothy Schwalbe

Mike W

additional photos added of O-11 Biederman Fire trucks, early '50's models..

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin

Attachments

Last edited:

530c6x6

530c army fire truck

this truck was at the Millville NJ Wheaton Village Fire Truck Muster. I restored this to the original military condition in 2005. The standard military paint scheme was used. The fuel can is actually a water can. It runs and pumps and has a full complement of firefighting equipment. Unfortunately i was not able to display it at Aberdeen. I was adding a winch and fixing the pump relief valve

Jeff

tamangel

Modified 1943/44 W62 into fire rig

Ebay auction item # 320359946425
auction ended 18 April 2009
did not sell, reserve not met , 6 bids, last @ $540.00

Dodge 6x6 Fire Truck
Vehicle Description
6x6 Dodge - unsure of the year; I'm guessing mid 1940's? Ran when I parked it about 10 years ago. Fire Truck with Wisconsin Engine with pump on the back, 2 hose reels on the top and a platform on the front of the vehicle. This vehicle went places no other vehicle could possibly go with its 6-wheel drive. It has a 6-volt system. I don't know much more about it.

person on ebay responded w/ following info:
Dodge WC62 late war 1943 or early 44 Highly modified vehicle

no connection w/ seller, info only..

Mike W

Attachments

tamangel

1957 R2 Crash truck remnant...

not much left of the original mission:
Ebay auction item # 180361325645
auction ended Jun-01-09 07:43:29 PD
did not sell, reserve not met , 0 bids, start price: $4500.00

1957 Dodge powerwagon R2 Crash Trunk
Vehicle Description
It's a 1957 Dodge powerwagon R2 Crash Trunk, only one of about 350 made. 230 cu. In. Straight 6 L-head, 4wd, 4-speed manual, PTO winch. New tires, new brake system all around includind brake cylinders and lines, New batteries. Recently serviced. Vehicle was owned by Birmingham Police department tatical operations unit Bomb Disposal squad. Have records from police department. Vehicle has a Florida title. Still in original condition from the police and Military.

No connection w/ the seller..

Mike W

same truck also discussed on a more recent thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m37/38403-just-got-r2-crash-truck.html

Attachments

Last edited:

tamangel

1988 Oshkosh DA-1500 ARFF 8X8 Articulated Fire Truck 1/3

ebay auction item # 220443265414
auction ended: Jul-06-09 20:45:31 PDT
did not sell @ $21600.00 with 6 bids (reserve not met)
buy it now price was $34900.00
link: 1988 Oshkosh DA-1500 ARFF 8X8 Articulated Fire Truck:eBay Motors (item 220443265414 end time Jul-06-09 20:45:31 PDT)

1988 Oshkosh DA-1500 ARFF 8X8 Articulated Fire Truck
Up for auction is one of the most unique trucks that Oshkosh makes and is a very rare opportunity to purchase a machine of this magnitude that is as clean as it is for the price that it is being sold for. I originally purchased this truck to possibly use in a variety of different ways but have decided that I have just too many other projects going on in my life so therefore, I have decided to part ways to allow someone to actually use this machine for what it is meant for (ARFF or other Fire Fighting needs) or to transform into whatever you might think it could be used for with the 8X8, the 540HP, the auxiliary engines, the generator, etc.........the uses for this truck could be endless!!!!!

I drove this truck home down the freeway at 70 miles per hour, but it would be up to you to decide how to best get this vehicle to where you want it to go. For me, it drove amazingly easy down the freeway and even though I have never driven something such as this, especially articulated, I was surprised at how well it handles..........

This truck was purchased new for use by the Milwaukee County/Mitchell Field Airport Fire Department. It just recently came out of service in early 2009, so you know that it was maintained and kept up in top condition and always stored inside!!!!!!!

This particular vehicle new would cost in excess of $500,000.00 for fire departments and airports to purchase today. Listed below are the specifications of the truck. Read it over carefully and if you have questions, please ask.

As I said, this truck is UNIQUE and a GREAT OPPORTUNITY to purchase a vehicle of this scope and incredible abilities:

* 1988 OSHKOSH DA-1500

* DRIVE ENGINE: DETROIT DIESEL 8V92T

* HORSEPOWER: 540

* DRIVE ENGINE HOURS: 3043

* DRIVE ENGINE MILEAGE: 14,448

* FUEL CAPACITY: 55 GALLONS

* TRANSMISSION: ALLISON CLT-755

* PUMP ENGINE: 6V53

* PUMP ENGINE HOURS: 32

* PUMP ENGINE HORSEPOWER: 300 BHP

* PUMP: ROSENBAUER, 1,200 GALLONS PER MINUTE, DUAL STAGE CENTRIFUGAL

* FOAM TANK: 265 GALLONS

* WATER TANK: 1,500 GALLONS

* BUMPER TURRET: 250 GALLONS PER MINUTE FLOW RATE

* ROOF TURRET: 375/750 GALLONS PER MINUTE FLOW RATES

* HALON 1211 SYSTEM: 500 POUNDS CAPACITY WITH HANDLINE (NOTE: HALON SYSTEM CURRENTLY IS OUT OF SERVICE PER MILWAUKEE AIRPORT FIRE DEPARTMENT NOTE. ALL THE ITEMS APPEAR TO BE THERE FOR UNIT TO BE OPERATIONAL. INFORMATION REGARDING WHY THE SYSTEM IS NOTED TO BE OUT OF ORDER IS UNKNOWN. IT MAY WELL JUST BE 'OUT' OF HALON. UNKNOWN REASON)

* GENERATOR: POW'R GARD, 2.5KW (RUNS GREAT!!!!!)

GENERAL CONDITION

I admit that I do not know ANYTHING about this truck and all of its capabilities. I do know that it was maintained since new by the Milwaukee County (MITCHELL FIELD...MKE) Airport Fire Department. I also know that it just came out of service this spring (2009) when they received there new truck. I have not tried all of the lights, sirens, etc....but everything is there and I would assume that everything works. I know the generator works great and I know the detroit engine(s) sound great as well!!!!!! I did talk to a few of the fireman who operated this machine and they all said that the truck was 'babied' and well maintained at all times. The tires look great and should not present a problem..........As I said, I can not 'guarantee' anything or make any promises, but the truck is certainly complete and the truck should perform flawlessly........given that I am not a Fire Apparatus Dealer and that I can't make such 'dealer guarantees', the price of the ARFF reflects that. If you need to check out the truck, I would encourage you strongly to do so and I will make all the accommodations I can to help you do that........

IF THIS TRUCK IS NOT AS I SAY AND YOU FIND MATERIAL DEFECTS WITH THE TRUCK, YOU ARE IN NO WAY OBLIGATED TO PURCHASE THE TRUCK. ALL MONEY WOULD BE REFUNDED AND NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WOULD BE GIVEN. I WANT YOU, THE BUYER, TO BE HAPPY AND FEEL THAT YOU GOT A GREAT TRUCK (AND IT IS A GREAT TRUCK) AND TO BE HAPPY WITH THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF THE PURCHASE.

LICENSE AND TITLE INFORMATION:

This truck is considered an 'off-road' vehicle, at least by the laws in the state of Wisconsin. A letter from the State of Wisconsin is in my possession that indicates that Wisconsin does not require a title for off-road vehicles of this type and therefore, if you need, this document (and a complete bill of sale) may help transport vehicle across the border into Canada or other countries. It may be possible to get a "Certificate of Origin" from the Oshkosh Corporation. It is unclear yet whether this can be accomplished. I will post to this ad if a Certificate of Origin is obtained but currently I do not have a title or C.O.

no connection with seller/info only

Mike

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks