• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military HMMWV Vs Civilian Hummer H1

D6T

I'm a supervisor in one of the sister agencies to the one in question. As far as I know (and I've been around the world a time or ten), no DHS agencies use the military-spec HMMWV in CONUS. The only agencies I've seen who do are USMS and "the Eye."

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bimmer must of been hauling, with all of the safety features and airbags, you would of think that the driver would of made it with a few broken bones like the guy in the Hummer H1.
Amazing and frightening at the same time

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bimmer must of been hauling, with all of the safety features and airbags, you would of think that the driver would of made it with a few broken bones like the guy in the Hummer H1.
Amazing and frightening at the same time
Speaking from experience as a trauma nurse, the single best predictor of relative injuries is the relative weight of the vehicles.

Obviously there are always outliers.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I think alot of people are forgetting the obvious. There isnt a 16 digit vin. Alot of state systems dont allow anything other than a 16 digit vin. When I was researching before I purchased I found this out and checked to see if it was an issue with my state before buying.

Awol

Also I think alot of people are forgetting the obvious. There isnt a 16 digit vin. Alot of state systems dont allow anything other than a 16 digit vin. When I was researching before I purchased I found this out and checked to see if it was an issue with my state before buying.
1981 was the mandated year for 17 digit VIN's, but before that no vehicle had VIN's that long. They were all 13, with some variation around that number.

The short digits on these trucks will confuse the low IQ of DMV workers, but most will just punch it in and run with it.

mdainsd

I have both and despite all the similarities they are different kettles of fish.
HMMVV, most everyone in this thread probably has one or more. Slow, noisy, tons of variations and kits and very COOL.
H1, comfortable (very), quiet (fairly), lots of creature comforts, doesn't really turn any heads any more. Mine has a California Air Resources Board approved 502 big block conversion and it is a hoot to drive. It will go right up over 100mph, probably more, but a one time experiment was enough for me. Im thinking of replacing the Alcoas on it with current military bead-locks and give it a dessert sand paint job, dark tint the windows and add a couple of Military antennas.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both and despite all the similarities they are different kettles of fish.
HMMVV, most everyone in this thread probably has one or more. Slow, noisy, tons of variations and kits and very COOL.
H1, comfortable (very), quiet (fairly), lots of creature comforts, doesn't really turn any heads any more. Mine has a California Air Resources Board approved 502 big block conversion and it is a hoot to drive. It will go right up over 100mph, probably more, but a one time experiment was enough for me. Im thinking of replacing the Alcoas on it with current military bead-locks and give it a dessert sand paint job, dark tint the windows and add a couple of Military antennas.
Wish I was in CA to see this thing, 100MPH would be fast, I had the Humvee going at 71.5, which I think is a bit fast for the 6.2L, 60 MPH is where I usually keep it

Al Capone

My m998 steering shaft : these shafts go off to rh side on a severe angle and mine has a slip shaft design where it goes thru body . Meaning one side inside other . From a head on collision with shaft on such severe angle it won’t be driven straight back but would buckle and break where it goes thru body off to right . I’ve seen lots of crashes vehicles when I use to work in body shops and buying salvage vehicles .

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m998 steering shaft : these shafts go off to rh side on a severe angle and mine has a slip shaft design where it goes thru body . Meaning one side inside other . From a head on collision with shaft on such severe angle it won’t be driven straight back but would buckle and break where it goes thru body off to right . I’ve seen lots of crashes vehicles when I use to work in body shops and buying salvage vehicles .
Thank you Al Capone
I have been in the automotive business for 40 = years, I am not a vehicle designer, but the Humvee steering is designed to break or fold upon impact
I also spoke to a guy who used to work for AM
He told me it was the same frame and components for the Humvee and civilian version when he worked there.
He told me that the place was basically a pole barn and when they would have an order for a Hummer H1, they would pull a completed frame assembly with power train aside and start making the civi version
The only difference at that point was the paint job on the frame, the military version got a special paint and the civi got a regular black
At that time all of the engines, brake, trans, suspension where the same.
Only the body and interior was different

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks