• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military HMMWV Vs Civilian Hummer H1

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soldiers weren't trying to drive them down the highway at 80 mph , they were limited to set convoy speeds .
I know that. When I go to the lake I’m going 60 and the military that are coming or going to Grayling are passing me with their new ones at 70 or 80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not fighting the facts. I’m just trying to figure out the difference. They did not make two frames both units share the same frame as well as the drivetrain and brakes. As for the steering, the shaft is in two pieces when you look at the u joint. Plus the steering box is way to the right. If someone says that the steering doesn’t collapse, well the u joint will take care of that. Safe enough for our soldiers but not safe enough for civilians.

Just because it has a u-joint doesn't it was designed to collapse , at best the u-joint could snap.
There is a reason they put slip joints on driveshafts to collapse with axle movement , the u-joint only compensates for angle.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the HMMWV's came into production , roll bars were standard equipment on Jeeps.
I guess that the only positive of the Humvee would be the lower center of gravity. A roll bar would be a great project and safety feature

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because it has a u-joint doesn't it was designed to collapse , at best the u-joint could snap.
There is a reason they put slip joints on driveshafts to collapse with axle movement , the u-joint only compensates for angle.
I understand. But if you’re in an accident and the steering is coming at you in the Humvee, I think that at that point you would need more than a Band-Aid

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
As far as I know, the gov had an agreement with AMG that they wouldn’t sell surplus humvees to the public. So they were always scrapped. I believe in the beginning, just cutting them in half was enough and stuff like engines tires could be scavenged. But people were putting them back together. So the gov went to requiring shredding. I think AMG now is not the same as AMG when they were selling the civilian versions. So the agreement dosnt matter anymore. And GP made a deal with DLA to sell the humvees. Part of that deal is that the gov won’t give you any documents to on road register them. And GP, the govs middleman, makes you sign a letter holding them harmless so they can’t be sued when something happens. So you get people handing DMVs documents marked “off road use only” and they take notice. You can argue your points till you are blue in the face the DMV is going to do what it wants to do. They don’t have to make sense the DMV usually dosnt. It only takes one person to get DMV going and ruin it for others.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, the gov had an agreement with AMG that they wouldn’t sell surplus humvees to the public. So they were always scrapped. I believe in the beginning, just cutting them in half was enough and stuff like engines tires could be scavenged. But people were putting them back together. So the gov went to requiring shredding. I think AMG now is not the same as AMG when they were selling the civilian versions. So the agreement dosnt matter anymore. And GP made a deal with DLA to sell the humvees. Part of that deal is that the gov won’t give you any documents to on road register them. And GP, the govs middleman, makes you sign a letter holding them harmless so they can’t be sued when something happens. So you get people handing DMVs documents marked “off road use only” and they take notice. You can argue your points till you are blue in the face the DMV is going to do what it wants to do. They don’t have to make sense the DMV usually dosnt. It only takes one person to get DMV going and ruin it for others.
Got it. This was not about going to the DMV. Just gathering more knowledge on the different versions of the Humvee

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand. But if you’re in an accident and the steering is coming at you in the Humvee, I think that at that point you would need more than a Band-Aid

Right and the Hi's have a collapsable steering collumn that passed FMVSS testing.

tage

Every Pontiac on the road today went thru the DOT (Department of Transportation) process and was deemed (on road safe).
Every Buell motorcycle was put thru the same paces and tests as every say Honda or Harley - Davidson and was deemed safe and acceptable for public roads.

The Humvee was not, its really that simple.
Why you keep fighting the facts I am not sure..
Not what I'm getting at and turning my post into fuel for your fire.
I simply stated they were like them as part available. Not about road worthy standards you weirdo

dhaumann69166

The Humvee was first at the request of the military. The H1 came after when Arnold asked for one. Unless I’m wrong

Pretty sure that’s spot on. The only reason the H1 came to be is because a few people with REALLY thick wallets said “that’s bad ass, I want one but I want it to have power everything, leather, wood grain or carbon fiber and radio and heat and ac and .......”. Uncle Sam didn’t buy it to be comfy he bought it to get there, get the job done and go home. No extras needed. AM General decided that if they were willing to pay the price why not take the basics (frame, suspension, drive train, and body) and fancy it up some. To answer the question again they are mostly the same. H1 is the “on road” HMMWV is the “off road”.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure that’s spot on. The only reason the H1 came to be is because a few people with REALLY thick wallets said “that’s bad ass, I want one but I want it to have power everything, leather, wood grain or carbon fiber and radio and heat and ac and .......”. Uncle Sam didn’t buy it to be comfy he bought it to get there, get the job done and go home. No extras needed. AM General decided that if they were willing to pay the price why not take the basics (frame, suspension, drive train, and body) and fancy it up some. To answer the question again they are mostly the same. H1 is the “on road” HMMWV is the “off road”.
And some of those changes were so they meet safety standards and passed the required crash test , that the HMMWV wouldn't pass.

Edit ; and this statement in the linked article shows how little the author really looked into these " all the automatics are GM four-speed 4L80Es."

Since early versions were turbo 400's and the 4L80E's a upgrade he did a very poor job of research.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with mine I afraid to add all of the invoices, the only good part is I can do all of the work. And speaking of thick wallets, I saw a you tube where Arnold had his converted into an electric H1. The cost is somewhere in the Million dollar range

dilvoy

The shaft that attaches between the steering column and steering box is collapsible by design. Spend a hundred bucks and buy one so you can see it for yourself if you don't believe it is that way. It may make your future rides in your Humvee more comfortable since you won't be worrying about a solid steering assy pointed at your face. Would be worth a hundred bucks for me to find that out, but I already know it.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft that attaches between the steering column and steering box is collapsible by design. Spend a hundred bucks and buy one so you can see it for yourself if you don't believe it is that way. It may make your future rides in your Humvee more comfortable since you won't be worrying about a solid steering assy pointed at your face. Would be worth a hundred bucks for me to find that out, but I already know it.
Thanks. I did spent time looking at it. That’s why I was wondering if you are involved in a crash by the time the steering reaches you , you will have more issues than you can think of, plus with the steering box on the inside of the frame and the shaft at an angle, the steering is the least of my concerns

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I did spent time looking at it. That’s why I was wondering if you are involved in a crash by the time the steering reaches you , you will have more issues than you can think of, plus with the steering box on the inside of the frame and the shaft at an angle, the steering is the least of my concerns
Here's a picture of the steering assembly, debate all you want, it is probably better than a straight shaft.
Humvee Steering.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks