• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military identification painted on vehicle. Illegal or okay?

Sgthoffer

I am new to this. Does anyone know and if it is okay to paint a unit number on a vehicle? Is it illegal or okay to do? I want to paint the unit that I was in the military with on the vehicle (the unit is retired now) but I have searched over the internet and I am probably just typing in the wrong things in the search box but I cannot find an answer.

I want to put 101st ABN DIV on the front left side of my LMTV, and then B. Co. 3/502nd INF on the drivers side.. I just want to make sure it is legal to do so.

Scott

snowtrac nome

I don't think there is a problem if I ever got a duce the first thing painted on it would be 8th mp bde 772 mp 142 p-4 just llike my duce I had as a young private.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hundreds of military vehicles in collectors' possession have been restored with full unit markings. No laws against doing so.

aleigh

Legal. 1st amendment baby. Just like you can walk around in an army uniform if you want. You start to run afoul of the law if you misrepresent yourself in order to gain some form of a benefit - like you get pulled over but claim you are army and not subject to that speeding ticket, etc.

CMPPhil

Hi Scott

Fair question, I have a feeling that there is no single answer, to your question. It is very common to see MVs with detailed and meticulously researched military and unit markings on them. In some states you can even operate your truck with just the military numbers displayed (as long as the truck is registered and you have the plate with you). While attempting to pass your vehicle off as Military to avoid having it inspected will might drop you in hot water.

I would start with your state DMV, Department of Safety etc. to see what your state has to say. If you find it is OK print the statute out and stick it with your registration.

Your question as given me a topic to for our MV Club newsletter, coming up on the first of the year it is time to check all of New Hampshire's state statutes effecting antique vehicles, plates etc. to see if they have snuck any thing in during the last legislative session.

Will follow your question with interest.

Cheers Phil

PS- Two of my MVs have their original numbers and signage but as they are WWII Canadian nobody is likely to challenge me.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Let me reverse this, how the heck would you think they would keep you from putting them on your vehicle as long as it is legally registered and tagged? I owned two MV's in WV and they were tagged as antique. Tags were mounted, never, ever, ever had a problem. Drove them through about 30 states in CONUS. Never had a problem.

Sgthoffer

I just want to make sure. Military vehicles draw a lot of attention, I have found that out in the week of owning mine already. I want to make sure I am by the book. Other things in my life are more important than this hobby and I want to make sure I do not get "in trouble" by law enforcement which may cause problems in my real life. I appreciate everyone's responses.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Legal. 1st amendment baby. Just like you can walk around in an army uniform if you want. You start to run afoul of the law if you misrepresent yourself in order to gain some form of a benefit - like you get pulled over but claim you are army and not subject to that speeding ticket, etc.
This says it all. Bottom line as long as you are not trying to do anything illegal and explain to anyone who asks that you are showing a historical version of a vehicle you were assigned to at such and such a time. You won't have any issues, unless like stated some state adds something into their laws. Remember most people on the outside will have no idea what it means anyway!

As for speeding tickets, wow, you will not get away with i'm in the Army to get you out of a ticket. the Law is the Law!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5-ton has CV-63 painted on the front.

Pretty sure the USS Kitty Hawk never had an M813 on it. ;-)

Jericho

Actually Active duty military being recalled to duty for a base wide recall are EXEMPT by federal law from speeding tickets ! Just give it to legal office . end of story, rule of thumb is use judicious caution, I have zipped into a emergency recalls?/deloyment more than once, well above the posted

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my state it is all about "intent". If you are attempting to use a restored vehicle to impersonate active duty access or operations, you have committed a crime (fraud). It takes a lot to cross that threshold, however. You would need not only the vehicle, but someone in a complete uniform CLAIMING special access or exemptions because they are on an active duty "mission". It is well beyond the range of "misunderstanding" or "confusion".

It would be like impersonating a cop and trying to arrest someone.

If you are in a restored vehicle, even in a uniform, on the way to an event or parade, you will have no problems as long as you don't claim to be something you are not. I haven't been bothered in decades (yeah, I'm that old).

aleigh

There are special state laws that usually restrict how much you can pretend to be a cop - no blue flashing lights, etc. But nothing I've ever heard of that applies to M/Vs. It's a pretty narrow rule.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unit markings are no different than a bumper sticker . Not an issue I sure wouldn’t be contacting any dmv or department of public safety about anything. Nothing gets a bureaucrat going more than the potential to mess with someone’s life.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are special state laws that usually restrict how much you can pretend to be a cop - no blue flashing lights, etc. But nothing I've ever heard of that applies to M/Vs. It's a pretty narrow rule.
That was an EXAMPLE of an impersonation, not stating that those laws applied to MVs.

As I said, in Washington state it has to do with the the "fraudulent intent" (do you intend to defraud an official or individual). No intent; no crime.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It bit me on the butt once, I used to have an 88 suburban that I painted with a stretched out M1009 pattern and was on Ft Indian Town Gap for the MVPA convention. I had my tank' bumper #s on it with a "NOT" under the C24. We were stopped one night and the first thing the MP wanted was my Dispatch sheet and log book, it took a while for him and his partner to wrap his mind around that it was a plated civi vehicle that looked Military. I had bought it from GSA and it had been painted NFS pee green, the year before it got us through the gates of the Grand Canyon free of charge several times after the Phoenix MVPA convention!

aleigh

That was an EXAMPLE of an impersonation, not stating that those laws applied to MVs.

As I said, in Washington state it has to do with the the "fraudulent intent" (do you intend to defraud an official or individual). No intent; no crime.
Wasn't responding to you in that post, was just stating. No worries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks