• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Land Rover heat insulation

Whiterabbit

Got tired of roasting my wife's feet and the cab being loud as **** n the cab.
100_2343.jpg100_2342.jpg
Trip to Lowes, roofing seam seal,firewall with 2 layers. No more heat! Too easy.

L1A1

I'll have to try & remember that one. I have a series III air portable lightweight that I'm getting ready to tear down for resto.....
Regards,
Matt

Whiterabbit

I've got the whole underside of the seatbox covered in 2 layers of it and it definitely helped. It got rid of high pitched noise and was pretty cheap to do. It's been under there for over a year and looks like new. I cut up those foam workout floor mats to cover the floor. That REALLY cut down the heat n noise too! It's those mats you see with the jigzaw puzzle sides that connect and come in a 4 o5 pack. Think they are 2x2.
Some of us are posting up in the forum site improving/ suggestion area requesting a military LR forum. You should check it out.
You going to the SS Georgia Rally?

L1A1

Jinxkat
Glad to see that the invasion has begun! My Lwt is a long way from being ready so I won't be able to attend the Ga. Rally. If you're going make sure to take & post plenty of pics for those of us who didn't make it. Out of all the variants my favorite LR would have to be a D110 (rag top) with a S-3 109 a close second...
Matt

Heath_h49008

I have been considering the light adhesive backed foam as well.

It's marketed as "Duct insulation" at HDepot and the rest of the big box stores. It might handle heat a little better in certain areas if the seam seal gives you any trouble.

But if this stuff is holding up underhood for you, I think I'll follow your fine example, and use it myself.

Thanks!

scottgs

That's a good idea. When I got my lightweight back in 1985, one of the first things I did was cut out pieces of 1/2" foam carpet padding, coat each in undercoating, and then glue them to the underside of the seatbase and firewall. It made a big difference in sound level and comfort, but after about 20 years the firewall pieces fell off.

But, what I've discovered helps the most is age. Runs quieter than ever now that I'm turning 50.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks