• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military looking switch under my dash

N1265

The switch was mounted in the dash, just to the right of where the factory radio would go.

The front " cat eyes " were mounted just above the factory headlights.

The " main blackout light " was mounted in the grill, just to the right of the left turn signal.

The rear "cat eyes " were mounted just below the tail lights.

Attachments

Last edited:

NeslundB

Does this truck have a military dashboard or civi one? Wonder if it was changed and someone added in a civi headlight switch and just wired it to the military switch and stuck it under the dash.
I'm pretty sure it's the military one. There's the hole in the dash where that switch would go, but someone covered it up and repainted the dash..

NeslundB

The switch was mounted in the dash, just to the right of where the factory radio would go.

The front " cat eyes " were mounted just above the factory headlights.

The " main blackout light " was mounted in the grill, just to the right of the left turn signal.

The rear "cat eyes " were mounted just below the tail lights.
Thank you for posting these. I'd like to find all the blackouts and wire them up to the switch and get them working just to keep it as close to original as possible.

NeslundB

Let me take this for a ride. As equipped, your M880 came from the factory without a blackout light system. DOD saw the need to retrofit some of them and TACOM came up with a kit. The kit consisted of that 3 lever light switch you have, a harness, 1 blackout drive light that should be somewhere in the grill and 4 little rectangular lights, 2 at the front and 2 at the rear. The kit instructions show to cut the oval hole on the right upper dash in that little area that is angled towards the driver. The kit was obviously installed but 2 things may have occurred. Either the dash was replaced or the FD that had it, put a panel in its place with their own switches for the FD nighmare harness. The pic shows your switch in the serivce drive mode. This mode is necessary for normal operation. Voluteer firefighters not trained in 3 lever operations often fooled with the switch and presto, no lights. A trip to the mechanic parts changer netted correcting the switch. Many FDs found the need to remove the levers as your are, to avoid this. In your case they cemented their position bu dropping the switch behind the dash.

Now, blackouts are actually not blackout but a low level light so that vehicle operations can be carried out with less of a chance of aerial detection. The BO Drive light lets out a miniscule amount of light.

F Y I, the 266-10 isn't readily available in PDF unless you buy it on disc, a good investment I might add!
Here's my dash. dash.jpgdash1.jpg
And in the second picture you can kind of see the outline of where it has been covered up. And I also have the perch pad behind the grill to mount the light in there.

NeslundB

And the person who owned it before me absolutely tore the factory radio slot up to stuff an old ford radio in there :confused: and my light switch that operates my headlights only runs the running, headlights, and gauge lights. My dome light is a household light switch that you just flick on.

NeslundB

I could see it being a pain..lol. My dad and I just made up a brush guard and we're thinking about running some KC lights so we may just do that instead

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 3 lever switch on the 880 isn't a pain like on other mv's as you don't have to mess with it. Just set it correctly and use the Dodge switch to turn lights off and on. One of my 890's came from the fire service the same way as yours but they left the hole and had the 3 lever switch rtv'd up behind the dash. I got all the parts to put it back military and didn't find the switch back there till I started to put it all back in

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks