• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military M211 Gas Truck Exhaust System

WPNS421

Very pricey, and not the right muffler. Bending these pipes is nothing go to a NAPA store and ask them if they have a local pipe bender. A local guy could easily do the work for a lot less. The guy selling the system must have gold plated the pipe!!!!!!:roll::roll::roll:

BugEyeBear

Seems High!

& I agree that the parts don't look right!

I'm managed to pick up a few pieces via auctions at very reasonable prices. I want to replace my exhaust eventually with something more original looking. (I currently have a non orig muffler that simply dumps down under the cab. Works for now, but I want the exhaust stack!)

Alpha Heaven or Memphis Equip might have a few of the pieces, or perhaps even a complete system?

IF you have a complete old system it shouldn't be difficult for a good muffler shop to fab up a duplicate!! (or at least something VERY Close!)
The Muffler, the manifold connecting flange, & the mounts will be the hardest to duplicate.
But I'm sure they'll be able to fab up something that works!

PLEASE let us know what you find!! (of course AFTER you get one for yourself 1st!)

JamBand

These are pics of my muffler. I'll just make one myself. I can buy all these pieces from this place called MUFFLER COMPONENTS.
Exhaust Mufflers Parts, Exhaust Muffler Components, Custom Muffler Components

My biggest concern I guess if it's going to have the same sound. I'll cut mine apart this weekend just to see what I'll need. I just spoke to my buddy at a fab shop and seems like it's going to be a piece of cake. I'll keep you guys posted.

Attachments

BugEyeBear

WOW!

I had heard that the stock muffler was a side exhaust setup, but I never realized it was THAT strange looking!
Now I think I better understand the empty hamgers that are under my XM211...

I think you should make at least 3 "practice" mufflers before you make the one for your truck.
THEN email me & I'll probably be willing to buy muffler #3 from you!!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah - that oval muffler is a hard part, but looks like you have it under control. A muffler shop Guy can make the flanges for the pipes. The way it is set up originally is pretty good. If there was a flex pipe though, before and after the muffler, it would last longer. I put a lot of miles on one of those, and for some reason, the systems don't last to long. Its real important to keep it timed right, especially not retarded, with its excessive heat.

Lee in Alaska

nattieleather

You need a flex pipe between the muffler and the stack this way the cab can move as you bounce down the road.

I had my local muffler guy custom bend a set up to replace the original made the stack and everything and it looked good. Worked good too. I wasn't going for original just functional. I think about 15 years ago it cost around 200 for everything from the manifold to the tip of the stack.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Joe

saddamsnightmare

October 2nd, 2012.

The system up above for the M35 was new, and the muffler is the hardest part to find NOS (I know, I had to) because so many of these trucks (M35A2) were converted to turbo at their last class rebuild, mine wasn't. Given that the GM M35 and M211 are out of production that much longer, and a gas engine beats its muffler differently, I'll bet there are a lot less NOS mufflers out there, so if you get good at making them, you might just have yourself a nice little business.:D
I wish you luck on your truck, we had two of them in our construction company in the 1960's, and while they were fair trucks, I would take an M35A2 anyday for a working truck (which mine were and are). It was an interesting design, but GM wouldn't icense it out and Uncle had REO develop the M#%A1/2 Eager Beavers to replace them.fat lady sings

135gmc

Congratulations on making a muffler - the GMC mufflers are scarcer than hen's molars. They are a consumable that has been consumed--- You might have some luck finding exhaust parts at the Canadian dealers - Canada ran the GMCs a lot longer than the US did. I got my last muffler from Bob Kettler about 20 years ago, and he told me then that the supply was getting thin. Keep notes on how you built your muffler - you should be able to sell them to GMC owners very easily.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found one out in the west end of South Dakota this summer while on vacation. Actually MACCUS found it for me. Looks rock solid. He even took it off and paid for it! :D Can't ask for a better uncle.
Now I have to have the pipes bent.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is a 3 year old thread, the muffler build was THREE YEARS ago

saddamsnightmare

October 3rd, 2012.

Gents:

It may be three years old, but I'll bet at least one member on here has had his M35/M211 Muffler rust or burn out, so the subject is germaine (at least to the GMC deuce owneres) and stirring up the post probably doesn't hurt much.2centsfat lady sings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks