• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military modifications to M35's

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just wondering what modifications you all have seen done to the Deuce's by different military units. I'm not talking about accesseries listed in the TM's, or Gun Trucks, just the little things units did to adapt them to whatever mission or job they did.
I know our shop deuce in the maint. section I was in modified the cargo area. The bed had the tall bows and extra canvas to make the cover longer on the sides. Underneath the canvas, the bows were covered by sheets of fiberglass like on the inside of semi trailers. There were no seats in it, they were removed and sheet metal was placed above the sides and front of the bed for about a foot and a half, and then about a foot and a half of heavy wire mesh wrapped around above it. That way, the cover could be rolled up for air circulation but still provide security. The end was framed in with 2x4's and 3/4" plywood and a steel entry door with a lock. We had cabinets for parts and tools inside. We also had an inverter and AC outlets, a fan, and coffee maker. We had a couple of stretchers with the handles cut off so guys could sleep in the back in the field. We'd run a BIG canvas off the back of the truck and over an A frame in the field so we had a place out of the weather to work on trucks and hang out.
What all have you guys seen?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first truck still has the welded in angle iron brackets in the bed for shelves that were part of the breakdown box on the back when I got it. Eventually if I keep it I will grind them out.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't serve, but the truck I have has a heavy bracket mounted to the front bumper on the passenger side and a bench vise mounted to that. Also, it has a small davit crane like an engine hoist mounted to a swivel base, mounted to the back of the bed on the passenger side near the tailgate.

rattlecan6104

Mine at one point had multiple items welded to the inside of the bed... I only know this as the cuts from removing them was never ground down smooth. Strangely enough the troop seats and bows were painted white.