• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Museum Closing

dittle

All,

The Fort Snelling Military Museum is scheduled to be closed by the end of September 2011. All of the artifacts are being reallocated to several different museums across the country. But we're not going out without a bang. Below is information that I posted in an email to my work.

The Fort Snelling Military Museum and MN Air Guard Museum will be holding an Open House Saturday July 16th, 2011 from 8:00 until 4:00. This is a free event with access to both museums. The Fort Snelling Military Museum will be doing armor demonstrations two times during the day. Both shows are scheduled to end with a M60A3 Patton main battle tank being driven by me crushing a car. Show times are at 11:00 and at 2:00.

The MN Air Guard Museum is working in partnership with the 133rd Air Lift Wing to celebrate the MN Air Guard’s 90th birthday celebration. They are scheduled to bring in almost 40 different war planes to be on display. Additionally the Special Forces Combat Parachute Team is scheduled to make two demonstration jumps during the day.

More information can be found at the following websites including directions on how to access the event:

www.fsmm.org and www.133aw.ang.af.mil/resources/airexpo/index.asp

Dan

Last edited:

dittle

Not a funding issue, hard to be a funding issue when you get no funding in the first place. The only good news is that Papabear will be seeing some of the transferred artifacts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can store a few things here, need a shipping address?

dittle

You might be able to see some of the vehicles in your yard DH, just keep an eye on GL. Probably not the armor though.

captain-crank

Sad news. Sorry to hear this.

Too bad it's the same week end as the Air Expo out at Flying Cloud.

Don't you guys also have an IH half track? Have any spare parts/tracks/armor pieces?

dittle

We have a Diamond T M3A1 halftrack but no spare parts for it. All of our parts were bought as needed during the restoration. Flying Cloud isn't that far from Snelling, you might want to check out some of the warbirds that are coming in for the MN Air Guard birthday celebration.

dittle

It was privately owned and put on lease to the museum. It was sold by the owner a couple of years ago but I don't know where it went.

captain-crank

We have a Diamond T M3A1 halftrack but no spare parts for it. All of our parts were bought as needed during the restoration. Flying Cloud isn't that far from Snelling, you might want to check out some of the warbirds that are coming in for the MN Air Guard birthday celebration.
Thanks, I am gonna be a FC with my Half Track so I can't make it to Fort Snelling.

You guys have a good time.

92RT-TT

Hey Dan,

Its truly a shame that they are closing the museum. I stopped by there on Sunday of my last UTA and walked around a little. I didn't go into the yard where all the tanks were sitting but I did get up close to two of them on trailers that were getting shipped out.

I wish I could buy a tank and keep it at my house!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks