• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Mustang project, what color for the interior?

KAILUAZ

So I'm looking for some thoughts on my 93 Mustang project. A little info on the project, its a 93 coupe that I'm doing a big block 460 swap into. This will be a weekend cruiser/auto cross track car. I'm doing a military theme and using Gillespie 383 green on the exterior.
I'm going back and forth on what color to paint the interior. The interior will be stripped with no stock trim panels. I'm planning on using OD canvass on the seats, headliner, and possibly the door panels, other than that its all metal.
The two choices are WWII "Cockpit Green/Interior Green" or white. I know most wheeled vehicels use the same color as the exterior, but I'd like to do something different. I really like the green color of military aircraft interiors, but I also like the contrasting white like the Stryker.
Anyone have any thoughts on the two colors?
Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, that's a tough call. The airplane cockpit color seems more appropriate, since your car will be a fast, un-armored vehicle, and like the P51 it's a "Mustang". I'm not sure how it'll look next to the 383 green exterior, though.

Isn't that cockpit color just green zinc chromate primer that they didn't bother to put a color coat on top of? You could most likely get some proper aircraft green zinc chromate primer from an aircraft supplier like Aircraft Spruce, and it should stick really well on the bare metal after you strip the interior. If it doesn't look right, then you could paint over it with white.

So, I take it that the puke green used inside communication shelters doesn't appeal to you? :mrgreen:

KAILUAZ

Re: RE: Military Mustang project, what color for the interio

nf6x said:
Hmm, that's a tough call. The airplane cockpit color seems more appropriate, since your car will be a fast, un-armored vehicle, and like the P51 it's a "Mustang". I'm not sure how it'll look next to the 383 green exterior, though.

Isn't that cockpit color just green zinc chromate primer that they didn't bother to put a color coat on top of? You could most likely get some proper aircraft green zinc chromate primer from an aircraft supplier like Aircraft Spruce, and it should stick really well on the bare metal after you strip the interior. If it doesn't look right, then you could paint over it with white.

So, I take it that the puke green used inside communication shelters doesn't appeal to you? :mrgreen:
I have some of the paint on hand for another project I did. I went to the local model store and bought a bottle of Model Master Interior Green paint. I put that on a paint stick and went to Home Depot to have the paint matched. For the interior it would work just fine.
Yeah I think I'll stay away from anything puke colored haha

Here is some great info on WWII aircraft paint:
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/01/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us.htm

I added a pic of the model paint, its Federal Standard 34151

Attachments

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: Re: RE: Military Mustang project, what color for the int

I was thinking about doing my seats in (Camo Gortex) since I found a place that sells it at $15 per yard and I would need about 5 to do my bench seats. I like the Gortex because its water resistant plus it breaths.

Jones

Zinc Chromate is most appropriate for aircraft. Good choice for a Mustang project like yours with skeletonized interior.
383 Green for wheeled vehicles. this is probably the best choice if your exterior is going to be 383 green too.
Since armored vehicles are inherently dark inside because of their itty-bitty windows; white is to get maximum efficiency out of interior lighting in armored vehicles. Looks like you'll have plenty of light coming in so this shouldn't need to be a consideration.

KAILUAZ

Nice thought on the Gortex!
Also good info on the white interior, that makes sense for a enclosed vehicle.

Green_gator

How about the standard Sea Foam Green interior? That was the standard for a lot of interiors.

KAILUAZ

I think what I'll do is paint a extra door I have to see how the 383 and interior green look together.

Jetnoise400

I also agree... go with the cockpit green. Plus, with the green you won't have to worry as much about glare when out in direct sunlight.

KAILUAZ

Armada said:
Instead of white how about desert tan? That goes good with o.d. colors like the seats, etc.
I thought about that too, in fact I tossed around painting the entire car tan. Ford had a tan color in the 80's and it would look too stock.
I think I'm going to go with the Interior Green.

Now the next option, what to do with the engine bay. White, black, 383 green, Interior Green????
Thoughts on that? Here is a photoshop with a white engine bay.

Attachments

KAILUAZ

txdodge43man said:
Id go with the white engine bay it looks sharper but a green engine bay would be more military but thats just my 2cents
The white would be a nice contrast, but the green would look good also,, I think I'm more torn on the engine bay than on the interior color. I could throw true Zinc Chromate in the mix and have three options to think about.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

KAILUAZ

Yeah now that I painted a few test pieces I think I'll go with the Zinc Chromate on the engine compartment, Interior Green in the cab, and of course 383 for the body.
Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, much appreciated!
Eric

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks