• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military or Civi wrecker?

50shooter

Talk about found in the back room!! A friend of my Dad's found out we had several military trucks and asked if we wanted to buy a wrecker that was left behind by the military when they closed our depot. We went and looked at it and my first thought is it was a civilian wrecker that the Army bought and used. It does say Holmes 750 I believe on the wrecker body. It was the only wrecker on the depot and they used it to pull loaded semi's out of the soft sand that covers most of the property. The rear diffs are absolutely huge. It has an inter axle lock on the dash. Elec. locking front brake. The main winch is a Holmes 50,000. It runs and as far as the old depot guys know, all original.
Ford 700
17,400 empty
17,860 useful
Gas
4x6
Mileage was 40,000 ish

Any idea what something like this would be worth? Military issue?

Thanks guys

Attachments

AndrewH

I have absolutly NO idead on its value but **** is it cool. Has it just been sitting there inside?!?! I think I am drooling a little.... Might not be an 818 but still, cool! -Andrewh

50shooter

From what I gather, it has been stored inside forever. It had one main driver and he left when the depot closed but otherwise, it was his baby the whole time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, not a tactical MV, but still an MV. I think you would be "stupid" (pardon the phrase) to not get it.

saddamsnightmare

March 16th, 2010.

50shooter:

It's as military as about 95+% of the U.S.Air Force and Navy vehicles in government service, and at least as military as the M880 and CUCV series of vehicles, and at least some parts will still be available on the civillian market. If you have the space and the $$$, you could do worse for a military truck to add to you collection. Do keep an eye on the steering shaft's condition, as the smaller versions of this truck in the pickup series had issues with the steering shaft cracking or breaking, but usually at much higher mileages then this. Most 600/700/800 series Fords were pretty well built.

Just my .02 worth,

Good luck and happy hunting,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

PackRatWrecker

Yes it's a Holmes 750. Yes, it's a miltary version. Yes, it also has a civilian counterpart. Yes, parts are still available.

The 750 was the 2nd largest mechanical wreck Holmes built, before thay ventured into the hydraulic era. The 1701 is the hydraulic version. All Holmes mechanicals from the 480 to the 850 used the same transmission. Power was changed by the size of the bull gear, on the winch drum.

Here's a link to an original civilian brochure. Zips should be able to get anything you need to keep it happy.

http://zips.com/images/uploads/brochures/750%20mechanical.pdf

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just for conversation and a starting point...I got a NICE holmes 750 on a 1972 white Road Boss in excellent shape when I took over the wrecker service in 1998. In 2001 I decided to sell the old feller and only got $3,500 for it with chains, snatch blocks, scotch blocks etc.:oops:

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. BTW...the Holmes 750 is an EXCELLENT winch truck!!:-D

CGarbee

I still kick myself for not purchasing a Navy IH Loadstar with a Holmes 750 on it a couple years ago... I paid slightly more recently for a M816 that will be a bit more useful for me ultimately, but it's not nearly as unique (nor as smooth a ride going down the road).

Give it a good home if you can, or help it find one...

50shooter

Thank you to everyone for posting the interesting details. Not sure how proud they are of it or whether I can spend the $ right now but if nothing else, I'll find a home for it so it isn't sold for parts.

I looked at some of the other pics that I took and noticed the 5,000lb limit stenciled on it. Not sure if they caught a problem or if it is just a precaution.

I know almost nothing about this type of truck. Could a guy use the winch for pulling trees and such or is this counter to it's design?

Thanks again.

Attachments

AndrewH

Just by the Holmes brocure posed earlier I'd think that with the snatch blocks you could pull anything any direction you could imagine. They point out all the anchor points all arount the wrecker body and the fact that the service cables can exit the mast in a 360 degree circle when removed from the booms. Handy.

PackRatWrecker

...I got a NICE holmes 750 on a 1972 white Road Boss
Honestly, the chassis probably hurt you more than it helped.

Aside from that, very few professional services have any use for a mechanical wrecker, anymore. The 750 was an industry standard, once upon a time. Unfortunately, that time is long gone. If it hasn't got an underlift, and (hydraulic)extentable boom, it's not going to bring much.

At best, someone may use the mast & transmission on a winch truck, or scrap the booms & build a hydraulic boom. That still leaves $6000-8000, for the hydraulic conversion kit, for the transmission.

As for pulling stumps, you might consider adding some rear spades, or it will lose a lot of leverage, with that walking beam suspension. Otherwise, you should be able to pull up the hubs of hades.

I wonder if anyone ever considered putting a 750 mast, in front of a Garwood wrecker, on a long frame 5-ton?

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's why I sold her...too much time removing bumpers etc to tow from the front...etc..

I still say she was the "King" for wiching though (for her day)...with the appropriate "mechanical advantage" applied (snatch blocks etc..).

Alredneck

Banned
I consider if it was owned by uncle sam at some point in its life then its a MV. Case in point my 1986 International S1600 ( issued to TXARNG ) built just for the GOVT. Also my Dastly dodge cause it has DOD decals on it and spent most its life in serving me as a Infantryman. ( May it rest in piece, till it becomes pieces and then I will build it better than before )

50shooter

So much for my wrecker plans. I saw a cherry M715 parked in a yard on my way home last week. Brought it home on Sat. The wrecker is not going to happen for now anyway.

If any one is interested, let me know and I can help you save this baby from a scrap yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks