• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military or civilian cable splice

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say yes. Looks like heat shrink tubing, which few civilians have access to. A typical civilian repair would be black electrical tape or worse.

Awol

It's hard to tell. Any splices I've ever made were wrapped in heat shrink, but some people just hack it and call it good.

Did you purchase the truck from an auction, or a private sale?

papakb

The military OMS shops use the same off the shelf stuff you can buy to do repairs like this. Even though they'll pay 1oo times more for it because they're military. What you have are called marine heat shrink splices and are available online or at most boat repair shops. They have an adhesive inside that melts when the tubing shrinks and provides a waterproof barrier to keep the splice from corroding.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say yes. Looks like heat shrink tubing, which few civilians have access to. A typical civilian repair would be black electrical tape or worse.
Just an FYI, heat shrink tubing has been widely available to anyone that cared to buy it for over 20 years, in all colors, thicknesses and lengths, some with internal water proofing, some without. I was in the radio install business years ago and probably used a mile of it in various sizes and colors over time.

Who did the splice is really not of much concern as long as it was done in a manner that will work and not be intermittent. Cleanly soldered and heat shrink is best, but tape can be used satisfactorily if its applied correctly and is of good quality (3M, not flea market junk).

I've taped weather exposed coaxial connections that have lasted decades. The biggest detriment to tape is oil and fuel which degrade the adhesive. Couple that with improper wrapping and the usual result is water infiltration to the connection.

papakb

Farmitall, today there are self vulcanizing silicon tapes that will to seal out water that I've been using on coax since it came out a few years ago. Like the old plumbers tape but it stands up to the sun better. It's available in several colors just like heatshrink but provides a covering that stays flexible where some heatshrinks don't. I use the clear tape to cover cable labels where I don't want them bleached by the sun of mucked up with dirt and oils. Great stuff! Their other advantage is that since it's a tape so you don't have to slip it over the end of the cable before making your connection.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farmitall, today there are self vulcanizing silicon tapes that will to seal out water that I've been using on coax since it came out a few years ago. Like the old plumbers tape but it stands up to the sun better. It's available in several colors just like heatshrink but provides a covering that stays flexible where some heatshrinks don't. I use the clear tape to cover cable labels where I don't want them bleached by the sun of mucked up with dirt and oils. Great stuff! Their other advantage is that since it's a tape so you don't have to slip it over the end of the cable before making your connection.
Thanks, I've mostly used the butyl rubber self adhering tape for outdoor connections. Will look for the silicone type and check it out.[thumbzup]

I do like the inner coated, heat shrink butt connectors with the waterproofing. I've used a ton of them under the hoods and in trunks of all types of vehicles.

tage

My brother owns a franchise of ABB. The wiring he turns out is beyond par with what some pfc can replicate.

With that said it looks like standard heat shrink. Could be either. But I would say that repair is within standard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks