• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Plastic Scepter Fuel cans

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to try Kevin Emdee at Star Electric. I buy a few from him every year at Aberdeen. He's had new ones and also had some like-new ones. I've bought both and can't tell the difference.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Funny thing is I packed two empty ones with fuel residue in my baggage to fly to Baton Rouge last week and they made it through the TSA screening. The spout was in there too and it leaked a little diesel and it still flew all the way from BWI to BR without problems. I wanted the insurance of ten extra gallons for our long trip home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do folks really like these cans? I've had a bunch, still have one but really prefer the steel cans. My plastic ones swell in the heat and spew fuel when they swell. Don't have that problem with the steel cans. The also fit poorly in the jerry can holders when they start swelling.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me the steel ones any day. Those plastic ones just have that "made in China" look to them. I have the plastic water jugs, but for fuel, it's metal or nothing.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well the Army is just about void of the steel ones anymore and we have had to live with the green fuel cans and the tan and black water cans for at least the last ten years. I like them mainly because they do not rust and they can take a bump without denting. The black water ones make for a great shower in the desert.

blackdog

The plastic cans are nice because you can just throw them around without having to worry about damaging them. I like to use the metal cans for display and the plastic ones for functionality.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Since we seem to have hijacked this thread to metal vs/ plastic, I will say that I have a bunch of metal cans and I use them all the time (lawnmower, weedeather, etc.). I like them alot, but I am going to buy a couple of the plastic ones and try them out.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have quite a few metal ones including three I highjacked off of an Iraqi vehicle during the first Gulf war. They are better than ours and have an itegral spout that you simply unscrew the cap and reverse the main cap and the vented spout is ready for pouring. I always keep them full of diesel to keep them from rusting but with diesel so high and my son driving the M1009 everyday when I came home from Korea they were all empty. I really like having extra cans of fuel around and right now we have about twelve of them in racks on trucks or in the carport. About half of these are the plastic ones.

CliffW

Re: RE: Military Plastic Scepter Fuel cans

blackdog said:
The plastic cans are nice because you can just throw them around without having to worry about damaging them. I like to use the metal cans for display and the plastic ones for functionality.
:ditto:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
To further hijack this lets talk about NATO cans vs. US metal cans. I have four NATO cans and I LOVE them. They don't leak, they are well built, the original spouts are very high quality, and THEY POUR FAST AND SMOOTH. The one US metal one I have does on occasion leak if not screwed down far enough, and if screwed down enough are hard to open. Most importantly is that they pour slow and surge wearing me out and often making a mess.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ethan, I've gone back and forth with this with Devilman96 and his NATO cans. My US cans sometimes drip a few drops but I have the correct GI spouts and can empty a can in 55 seconds. When I went up to the FL Rally site Mikes dad brought me 15 gallons of diesel in NATO cans. He had the right spout but it seemed like forever to dump a can. I've used both and I'm sticking with my US Steel cans. One other thing, if your US can spout screws in, its the wrong spout. The screw in ones cover the vent line.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is interesting as the only two US can spouts I have seen are the screw on style. I guess I have more to see. I still love my NATO cans, but will keep my eyes out for the other type scout.

Albin

Sceptor is shutting down civilian sales of their plastic MFC (Military Fuel Can) due to CARB regulations coming into effect some time in the future for all of the US.

If you find a source, buy what you can. Try Brigade Quartermaster (actiongear.com) and other 4x4 shops.

For the MWCs (Military Water Cans), the best source is LC Industries, they sell for $16 each vs. $24 elsewhere.

For a half decent discussion on military fuel cans, see this: http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.com/memberstuff/al/Jerry Can Paper V1.3.pdf

Since this was written in 2005, some of the "sources" data is outdated. For example, Davidson Products used to be the premier supplier of MFCs; now they no longer sell Scepter products.

Good luck.

Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks