• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military spring antenna base for 2-meter operation

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most common mil-type spring bases are the MX-6707 for the VRC-12 series of radios, and the AS-3900 type for the SINCGARS series of radios. They are very rugged, the down side is they are for operation only between 30 and 75 MHz, approximately.

What mil-type spring antenna base should I look for if I want to operate a 2-meter radio, between 144 and 148 MHz? Is there one for the higher freqs? Autotune would be preferred, but I'll take what I can get.

papakb

Shakespear 2 meter antenna

Shakespear makes a matching unit that I believe was part of the PRC-128 high band kit that was designed for use in the 2 meter range. The one on my HMMWV says part number is 4255. It may be an obsolete product, I couldn't find it on Shakespears site.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On Shakespeare's military products webpage, I don't see any mention of the 4255, but they carry the 4265A that uscgmatt mentioned, that falls in the 2-meter range. Like he hinted, though, I'd hate to ask what they want for it.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an AS-3900 at the GA SS Rally and looked at reflected power (return loss) from 10m ham band up through 6m band. Results were similar to the test referenced: not good enough anywhere for direct connection to a transceiver. SWR was nearly flat at 31 MHz, but that does no one any good! Using the AS-3900 behind an automatic tuner (LDG Z-11 Pro) worked great and many contacts were made on 29,400 FM with a PRC-77.

One thing to remember though, just because an SWR analyzer says a match is tolerable does not mean the antenna radiates well at that frequency. After all, a dummy load looks great on an SWR analyzer. The radiation pattern might be unusable. A complete test should include field strength readings, which I have not done either.

Bob WB4ETT

Mike, check out this website. He set up a AS-3900 and ran the ham bands with a MFJ SWR analysizer. (I think I really misspelled that one). :jumpin:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is the Shakespeare SF3512/VRC which is 30 to 512 Mhz.
I can get used ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks