• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military tents?

michigan4x4

Who knows about Military tents? Looking for something to use for deer hunting in the Upper Peninsula of MI (It gets cold in November!!). I had a 14x17 Davis wall tent from Davistent.com that we have used but lost it in a fire last season. I am now looking for something of similar size but in OD. Would like to stay away from the smelly, mildew GP tents and look at the vinyl tents. Anyone have any experience with these? How do they handle moisture/condensation? Stove jacks? Stove Jack sizes? Looking at the 16x16 frame tents.

Opinions are welcome...
Thanks
Jeff

Stonepicker1

I have 16x16 in my back yard....use it to store my OD stuff.
It's been up for almost 3 years and the Florida sun has not damaged it yet.

I took a picture of the heater exhaust hole and a picture of my heater pipes.

Wish I had more frames.........I lived in this tent for 12 months in Iraq in 2003-2004....I also put two of these together and made a shower tent for my Soldiers. They are easy to put up also.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a command tent, it was 11x11 feet, heavy vinyl with separate cold weather liner, vestibule and floor. Easy to put together, but really needs 2-3 people to make it easy to do. Would be great in cold weather, especially with a Yukon stove.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto what MD said. We used a command tent at the GA Rally last year (it was Gimpy's) and it worked very well. Easy to setup and take down.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's more info on the command tent I mentioned.

Mtn. Gear Surplus Sales

I would NOT recommend a GP small or medium in vinyl. The smalls are easy to put up but aren't too big, the mediums are big but are a PITA to set up. Don't ask me about the GP Larges, I had a bad experience.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto what MD said. We used a command tent at the GA Rally last year (it was Gimpy's) and it worked very well. Easy to setup and take down.
We offered to let you in my command post tent the year before last! Now you know what you were missing out on.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read your quotes in your sig and you'll know why I wasn't in your tent.......

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of those quotes pertain to Gimpy. I did take a shower a few times that week in GA, so I know it wasn't cause I smelled bad.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 16 x 16 tents do have liners for the inside, and a fly that goes above the top to help moderate the temperatures (but usually for rain and hot weather). If you do get one, build some slats to go along the roof to support the canvas or the snow load could cause opportunities to get cold quickly when you least expect it. It's a tent, not a solid roof.

jw4x4

A GP medium canvas tent can be set up and taken down by 2 people. Recovry4x4 and I have done it several times. Fortunately, no experience in sub-freezing temps. Those command tents would be excellent in any climate.

michigan4x4

Thanks for all that responded. I really appreciate that. My main concern is condensation. Are these vinyl tents vented somehow? Also, what is the purpose of the liner? Added protection from the elements? Is it necessary for my application (Deer Camp)? Like I said, I am used to a canvas wall tent with 1" EMT conduit internal frame It was 14x17 and would sleep 4 guys comfortably with a decent sized wood burning tent.

Another question about the military tents. What stove is used? Are they propane burning stoves? wood burners?

The tents I am interested are NSN 8340-00-782-3425 but m just wondering if there is something better out there for my intended use.

Thanks
Jeff

michigan4x4

There is a MGPTS Medium tent for sale here locally for $1200. It includes fabric and frame to set up 18x18 configuration and includes middle section to set up as 18x36 size.

http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/pdf/ql/mgptsiii.pdf

Why do you guys think of this tent?

Again, I am looking for something for a hunting camp that will need to sleep 3 guys and gear comfortably in sub zero temps. If I bought the tent above I would be using the 18x18 size the most as that would be plenty of room for my purposes.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My main concern is condensation. Are these vinyl tents vented somehow? Also, what is the purpose of the liner? Added protection from the elements?

You might have hit on an issue right there, and they are vented. I'll tell you what I know about this though. First off, it's waterresistant vinyl...it's gonna sweat! Of the two Command post tents I have, both have been up at the GA rally in a previous year. The one Gimp and I were using had a tarp layed down as a floor (Even though it has a floor piece, I didn't want to use it and get it filthy). During the day it was high 70's or so, at night high 40's low 50's. It was sweating some but not really dripping. The other one that Eric's Uncle Tom was using, we didn't put the floor down either, and it had no tarp. That tent was like a rainforest in it the first night. After that we got some older coleman tent heaters from Phil to use to keep warm, and the condensation in mine was better. The other one was still sweating pretty good, but not as badly.

So, my conclusion is this...Use a floor, or you will be sorry. And some type of dry heat (NOT Propane because it draws moisture) will help the sweating issue.

Another question about the military tents. What stove is used? Are they propane burning stoves? wood burners?
Most of the mil. tent heaters are liquid fuel (diesel/kerosine fired) heaters. Some have a wood/coal conversion. But you can use any tent stove you want as long as the vent will fit through the stack opening. As stated above, I would avoid propane because it draws moisture. That's fine in a canvas tent that can breath, but will be not so good in a vinyl one.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jeff the 16X16 with a liner is the way to go for your needs. Liner helps create a "dead air" space that helps insulate and also catches any condensation. I used them for years until our hunting party got too big and had to upgrade to the temper. Any wood burner stove will keep it toasty and the mil ones use 4" flue. The command post are ok but have seen a lot of frame failures and if you are trying to get one up in bad weather can become a nightmare. ftenew 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks