• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Trailers still at work (plus mule)

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, Although we didn't get the snow here that they did farther northeast, it's still in the 30-40's and we need to keep the house toasty warm. We thought you all would like to see our trailers at work as shelters for split wood.

We protect the interiors with plywood, and in the summer, pull the trailers with the tractor to wherever the logs are, pull the wood splitter and carry the saw on the mule, and proceed. When the trailers are loaded, we then pull them up close to the water stove, block them up to take the strain off the suspension, and have our essential wood supply dry and handy. Throughout the burning season we can either keep them stocked in place by the mule load, or empty them out and pull them to where we're doing volume wood splitting.

This process minimizes the handling, hauling, and general messing around. It feels good to have the trailers (and mules) working and "not just another pretty face".

Attachments

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you like the set up. I'm sure it could be adapted to other applications -- but boy, does it simplify the wood routine!

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The set up works remarkably well. The wood we use is deadfall and limbs that we would have to clean up anyway, so it takes care of many needs. And it is definitely nice in rainy or snowy weather to be able to stand out of the drip to load or service the boiler! Thanks for the appreciation!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really want to add a wood boiler to my home. It doesn't really get too cold for long periods here in SC, but it would be nice to have when it is! I really like your set up. And the idea of using the trailers.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ours is hooked up to a house we relocated to the property that has baseboard circulating radiator heat (1940's era--a story in itself) but some of the water stoves come with a heat exchanger that attaches to existing duct work. Thank you for your kind words on the setup. It took awhile, but now that it's in place, it's hard to imagine relying only on propane heat!

Cute passenger you've got there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks