• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military unit designation code on equipment, how to read

Humpy

I have a MEP802a I just got and on it is 9HQ5K2 and I was thinking 9th Div HQ Civil Affairs but this unit was made almost three years after the 9th Div was inactivated so it has to be something else with a 9?????

I have been looking through the internet and can't find the website that will help translate these markings and put in those headings I thought would bring it up.

Can anyone give me the website http so I can download this for future reference? thanks

Glockfan

It is definately NOT a Depart of Defense Agency Address Code (DoDAAC), the number was likely stenciled on the generator by the unit to mark it as theirs. Normally, bumper numbers, etc. are to be removed or painted over prior to turn-in but that is not always the case. It is unlikely that the unit that turned the generator in would be able to provide you with any useful information anyway.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do generators get registration #s like vehicles? Like "4K5994" or "87K1526"?

Because to me, that looks more like a registration # than a unit marking.

Humpy

Yeah as it was put into storage status in Dec 2011 as there is paint marker data written on oil filter, fuel filter and water separator indicating all fluids removed at that time. Even if found the personnel that did the downloads have likely been discharged by now. It was impressive of how well they did the preservation preps as the fuel tank is bone dry, the oil left in bottom of engine appears to be perfectly clean but doesn't show on dip stick. The batteries have rubber grommets over terminals and gun tape securing them on both batteries. They even put gun tape on the connectors on battery cables.

I reached in and moved the fan blade while watching the fan on the generator and the engine is completely free and no hint of being stuck. It has solar panels on top but the wires inside were cut and the box on the inside is gone. It was apparently attached to a piece of velcro down between the batteries.

Even better there is absolutely no indication of a leak anywhere and I have never seen a diesel that did not leak something somewhere.

I lubed the fingers on the door retainer latches with Mobil 1 as that is all I had with me so I will go back and coat the fingers and their contact surfaces on the cabinet with GAA. They were bone dry and I felt the inside of the cabinet where they rub and there is no wear at them at all.
Going to town shortly to get filters for fuel and oil.

I just hope the batteries take a charge. I put chargers on both batts when I got home with it last night.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, HQ5 K2, makes sense to me, the 9 could be anything, could be the last part of anything 1/509th INF, 249th QM CO, 189th CSSB...?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do generators get registration #s like vehicles? Like "4K5994" or "87K1526"?

Because to me, that looks more like a registration # than a unit marking.
That's what I was thinking also. It does kind of look like a vehicle registration number.

As far as the unit painting over the bumper numbers when they turn a vehicle in, I find this practice is very seldom used. I'd say 90% of the trucks and trailers I've bought over the years still had the bumper numbers intact when I bought them.

Another Ahab

Yeah as it was put into storage status in Dec 2011 as there is paint marker data written on oil filter, fuel filter and water separator indicating all fluids removed at that time. Even if found the personnel that did the downloads have likely been discharged by now. It was impressive of how well they did the preservation preps as the fuel tank is bone dry, the oil left in bottom of engine appears to be perfectly clean but doesn't show on dip stick. The batteries have rubber grommets over terminals and gun tape securing them on both batteries. They even put gun tape on the connectors on battery cables.
Nice find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks