• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military vehicle ID help

FLINT

Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I only have and know about the CUCV, so this is the only forum that I go on.

Anyways, last week, on our way home from Christmas with my parents we saw the absolute coolest looking military vehicle ever (at least to me). It was parked at a house on route 15 in VA just (like less than one mile) south of Zions X-Roads (just in case anyone here maybe even owns it - never know).

is there anywhere I can look at pictures of all different military vehicles so I can try to ID?

The truck I saw looked kind of like a deuce but it was smaller and only had 4 wheels. Looked very tough and basic. I know this description isn't helpful, sorry. I drove back by that spot the other day and had my camera ready to take a picture but it wasn't there.

anyways, thanks for any help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.olive-drab.com is a great place to look at military stuff. Jane's is the ultimate but requires a subscription.

If it was parked at a house, it might have been a bobbed Deuce or an M715 Jeep. Not enough details to say for sure.

What size where the tires, the cab, etc. Hard top, soft top. Shape of the windshield.

The more details the better.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a copy of David Doyle's standard catalog of military vehicles. Everyone should have one!

FLINT

yes, I should get a book - maybe I'll check our library - just in case.

here are as much details as I can remember - although we drove by kind of fast - I would have turned around if I didn't have the family with me.

It was a truck - with a truck bed with side boards - and it was loaded with fire wood.

it didn't look bigger than a cucv truck - maybe a squeak taller - but was definitely a different shape - not a standard chevy/dodge truck shape - more like the look of a deuce - but I'm pretty sure it was not as massive - so I don't think it was a bobbed deuce. it looked older than a cucv, but not ancient looking by any means. the tires looked tall and skinny, maybe taller than cucv truck tires - or maybe not - could have been an illusion if there was more space between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

I think it had a flat windshield - not flat up and down, but flat side to side.

it just looked tough, and i instantly irrationally wanted it, haha.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running boards rules out the M715. Like it is posted above, an M37

FLINT

yep, I think thats it. I didn't remember it looking quite this 'old' but it probably was the M37.

looked like this one from the link that you guys posted - except with narrower tires

Thanks!

now please tell me that those trucks are total junk - so I don't start wanting one!

Attachments

91W350

They are far from total junk, they may be older, but they can still do a lot of work. They are primitive, but very functional. Smooth 6 cylinder power, slow and steady as she goes. A great truck in its time, still a great truck, easy to work on and really dependable.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After following Squirtrucks M37 all over the trails of Durhamtown, they are more than a capable offroader.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks