• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military vehicle. radio group

SSGHillbilly

:tank: Hello I am wanting to know if there are others out there whom would be Interested in starting a military Radio/ commo group within steel soldiers.

I know there are many that do have some mil.spec radios , vics, ect,,and others whom may like to outfit their vehicles The vintage commo.

I think it would be pretty cool to do some convoys or if were out running in the woods , desert ect,,. And communicate . Sure there everyone’s cell phone but that takes out the fun in it. Plus who knows maybe the Chinese might decide to take away your satellite one day,,, oops no more cell phone boys ! Well sure would be nice if there some more experienced troopers out there that can help take the lead on this. Thanks - Hillbilly ;-):driver:

SSGHillbilly

RTO’s

Well what I hoped To get more military vehicle owners to acquire and get into the communication part of the vehicles in order to preserve that element.

if there is a need for it then the radios & other Como gear won’t just disappear and history lost.
I’m going to get a M-524 with amp, ect,,. But I wanted to get a M- 246 but it seems like that is getting extremely hard to have an operational one and someone to even work on them.

I just thought to use them allot more at the rally’s, and swap & trade shows and convoys , ect,,. Would be awesome.

what about if the Chinese or some disaster takes out satellites and everyone’s cell phones are useless? It’s going to be guys like us that could help out our local communities working with emergency services if needed. These are just some of my thoughts & concerns. :beer:

papakb

That's an RT-524 or RT-246 not M-524/M-246. Both the 246 and 524 are 35 watt radios and generally aren't operated with an external amplifier. I have both available but shipping cross country for a 62 pound radio is expensive.

The biggest problem with these radios isn't the equipment itself but the operators. Radios like the PRC-25/77 or 126/8 are all low power and with limited range generally don't bother anybody except the sticklers who (correctly) will tell you that you need to be a licensed amateur to operate them and even then there's only a very small segment of the radios capability that can be considered legal to use. The FM tactical radios generally operate from 30.00 - 75.00 Mhz and the only segment of the available to use is the 6 meter amateur band from 50.00 - 54.00 Mhz and even then the hams don't particularly care for wide bandwidth transmitters operating in their narrow bandwidth world. Now when you move up to radios like the 246 and 524 with their higher power output you really can mess things up.

Two things any operator needs to know are that transmitting without an FCC license is illegal and operating outside the 6 meter band is also wrong. People who aren't "radio guys" generally don't understand that and can create problems for the MV community by using their radios incorrectly ie, outside acceptable frequencies.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good information, thank you. I have a half a dozen or so “brick” radios. I picked them up at a yard sale dirt cheap. In order to legally use them, I had to get a GMRS(?) license. It was not expensive, it was good for 5 years and I didn’t need to take a test to get it. What it did was make it legal to use my radios on my property legally. I also have a PRC something or another radio. I have a backpack model and a vehicle based radio. I’ll go the same route for a license ‘cause I don’t want the consequences of doing something wrong.

The idea of a radio group has merit, in my opinion. It would allow for various issues to be brought up, discussed and used to further our MV radio green disease.

That's an RT-524 or RT-246 not M-524/M-246. Both the 246 and 524 are 35 watt radios and generally aren't operated with an external amplifier. I have both available but shipping cross country for a 62 pound radio is expensive.

The biggest problem with these radios isn't the equipment itself but the operators. Radios like the PRC-25/77 or 126/8 are all low power and with limited range generally don't bother anybody except the sticklers who (correctly) will tell you that you need to be a licensed amateur to operate them and even then there's only a very small segment of the radios capability that can be considered legal to use. The FM tactical radios generally operate from 30.00 - 75.00 Mhz and the only segment of the available to use is the 6 meter amateur band from 50.00 - 54.00 Mhz and even then the hams don't particularly care for wide bandwidth transmitters operating in their narrow bandwidth world. Now when you move up to radios like the 246 and 524 with their higher power output you really can mess things up.

Two things any operator needs to know are that transmitting without an FCC license is illegal and operating outside the 6 meter band is also wrong. People who aren't "radio guys" generally don't understand that and can create problems for the MV community by using their radios incorrectly ie, outside acceptable frequencies.

SSGHillbilly

This information is so incredibly helpful. Thank you very much,,,.:goodjob:

I’m moving forward with this & hope it takes off. Papakb you seem to have a really good lead on this and a wealth of knowledge. It may be a couple or a few months before I can get my first radio but I’ll go from there.

plus I’m putting in a VIC system in my M35A2. I have a lot to learn. I use to know more as a company RTO but many decades the information in the head gets misplaced , ha,ha.:shrugs::lol:. I’ll be trying to re school myself enough to operate help a little then look for the guys with much more experience that can help them better. Thank you all once again on this subject, I think it could be a lot of fun combined with our vehicles. - SSGHILLBILLY ;)

SSGHillbilly

Thank you Jeffhuey1N for this information, all these pieces of information will be helpful.
I am assuming (GMRS )= government military radio license ?? Is there a state or federal form # for the documents?
(brick radio ) is referred to as - PRC-77, 25, ect,,,?

SSGHillbilly

RTO’s Radios,operators,manuals & training

Steel soldiers :driver: :tank:with some real good knowledge & experience , I appreciate all that you can help me with. Please all comrades put your two cents into this subject it will bring out questions answers and research all is appreciated .[thumbzup]

I will be going on line Try to acquire some old manuals ect. Plus check into today’s laws, Reggie, and procedures . I sure can use all the help that’s out there.

A Long time ago my first radio experience in the ( Deuce- Studebaker ) was using the 246 As a 1SG driver in 2nd Armored Division.
It has long been a deactivated unit decades ago.

I’ll never forget those old Army memories allot of adventure & fun, yes tough times too but I just want to remember the good ones.:tank:

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to help. GMRS = General Mobile Radio Service. https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs. I found my copy of my last license. I haven’t renewed, too many other things going on. I’ll see about posting a sanitized copy so y’all
can see what I’m talking about.

Thank you Jeffhuey1N for this information, all these pieces of information will be helpful.
I am assuming (GMRS )= government military radio license ?? Is there a state or federal form # for the documents?
(brick radio ) is referred to as - PRC-77, 25, ect,,,?

Crapgame

Sometimes operating on a common push at weekend events is more convenient than running WD-1 and TA-312s to each truck or Bivouac site to disseminate event information, pass on messages, alert for lost kids/dogs. etc

The 65lb RT-524/VRC-12, I hated those things, they broke all the time.

Off Topic: I was just walking Apocalypse Now-Redeax, if Col Kurz's FOB was 75km past the Do Long Bridge, how were they maintaining comms on the VRC-12? Even hitting the radio retrans site on Monkey Mountain would be pushing it.

SSGHillbilly

:goodjob::goodjob:[
thank you very much this is very good news to me. Well I’m no radio Guru but I did operate them a decent amount in the Army. I really believe in keeping history alive and having some fun at the same time. I appreciate all positive input to this thread thank you all. I suppose I took an extra interest into this since this past year I Lost my first cousin up in Mi. He was a Vietnam combat veteran Radioman. He was heavy into Commo. Later he was a Ham operator and in Civil Air patrol.

so I guess I’m picking up on this in memory of him, he had no brothers or sisters. This group has helped me so much in a short time since I’ve gotten my truck, even from reading older threads.

what a super bunch of guys!:clinto::beer:

QUOTE=m38inmaine;2246240]There are two active military radio collector's groups that are very active. The East coast group just had our annual meeting at the Gilbert PA(RED BALL) military vehicle show. Many of the groups members have military vehicles as well.

http://www.mrca.ar88.net/

We have a military radio net on channel 3 60meters(5.357 USB) TUE/THUR/SAT at 12 noon EST.[/QUOTE]

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some information for dissemination: I’m putting a list together of manuals that cover just about everything military radio. One book in particular is a resource for any and all folks wanting to get into mil-radio. I’ve been going through my stack of parts and can say with some accuracy that I have radio mounts, mounting fixtures, cables, etc. I figure that knowing what cables go to which mount, which go to which radio will help folks move towards a functioning system. Bear in mind, if you’re in receive mode only, no problem. If you hit the transmit button, you best have a license. More to come if y’all are interested.

SSGHillbilly

Gen. Jeffhuey1N :goodjob:

This is a huge magnificent help to myself & others. I thank you highly very much. I will use this to get better and I know it won’t be so scary to others to try once they just start learning little by little. ;-) I really look forward to meeting with you guys at an event in the future. IDE like to get to something this coming summer. I’m up in WV. But ide like to give her a shot, if not with the deuce at least drive down with a norm POV.
I suppose you get together in Ga. be nice to try some radios at a steel soldier event with you all. When is a upcoming event in the spring or summer?

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gen. Jeffhuey1N :goodjob:

This is a huge magnificent help to myself & others. I thank you highly very much. I will use this to get better and I know it won’t be so scary to others to try once they just start learning little by little. ;-) I really look forward to meeting with you guys at an event in the future. IDE like to get to something this coming summer. I’m up in WV. But ide like to give her a shot, if not with the deuce at least drive down with a norm POV.
I suppose you get together in Ga. be nice to try some radios at a steel soldier event with you all. When is a upcoming event in the spring or summer?
The Ga rally would be a great place for this, over 100 vehicles ton of folks, and 1000's of acres of off roading. It's held in October just a week ago. In April is a good rally at Denton Farm park just north of Charlotte N.C., there was a guy there last year with an awesome collection of field radios.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks