• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Vehicle Scrap Yards (Humvee)

BLK HMMWV

Not sure what your trying to say.
So scrappers have a contract at a base or buy a lot from GL.
Most of the time the stuff is separated by material, steel, aluminum, Brass, wiring,
Some times it's brand new , some stuff was part of an installation kit , one piece was removed from install kit and then the rest tossed out.
What a waste , but that's kind of the way the government works isn't it?
It goes to a scrap yard. Someone there either buys it as scrap or allows someone to come buy it as scrap before it is sent to China as scrap.
As long as it isn't a controlled or restricted item it is saved and sold to somebody who needs it.
That's a plus for us. It's also a plus for the guy with the contacts at the scrap yard.
If not for them and the auction sites are trucks would be boring.
Most have spent along time building up their inventory and contacts. I would bet they wouldn't just give out the location of there gold mine . It's lucky we have websites like this that have a WTB section and the Web nowadays.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the metal dumpsters contents belong to whomever has the scrap metal contract. I had to pick up one of my sailors several years ago from security because he was dumpster diving.
Interesting. I'd heard from a scrapper how he was burned by bidding based on the pictures to show up and find out that the vehicles had had more parts removed post auction, and since title passed as the "scrap" crossed the scales, no foul. But it sounds like parts removed by a unit, not a dude who needed parts.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All most all the scrap lots I have seen in GL that have radiators, alternators/starters, vehicle parts, tent poles, wiring etc require mutilation to be certified.

Most scrap contracts for the mk48/lvs , uparmored etc state no parts culling, total destruction.

Action

Interesting. I'd heard from a scrapper how he was burned by bidding based on the pictures to show up and find out that the vehicles had had more parts removed post auction, and since title passed as the "scrap" crossed the scales, no foul. But it sounds like parts removed by a unit, not a dude who needed parts.
GL pics are representative. Scrappers can't look at the pics and expect to bid just to resell certain items. When GA had the lot of humvees, they had to be shredded. So he didn't get burned if he is paying by the pound...

ArizonaGasMonkey

Where do you think Jack's Surplus from Tucson gets all his Military parts and HMMWV items, from scrap bins auctioned off. At Davis Monthan they let him waltz right in the front gate and he looks through the bins prior to bidding so he knows exactly what's in each bin and how much he should bid. GovLiquidation and other Gov firms should totally not allow him to do this.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you think Jack's Surplus from Tucson gets all his Military parts and HMMWV items, from scrap bins auctioned off. At Davis Monthan they let him waltz right in the front gate and he looks through the bins prior to bidding so he knows exactly what's in each bin and how much he should bid. GovLiquidation and other Gov firms should totally not allow him to do this.
Anybody that wants to bid for scrap can pre-screen the items.
Some times its one single lot, and then there's term lots.....then the winner of term lots gets whatever they put in the rolloff boxes they leave.

greenjeepster

Much of the resale stuff right now is coming out of Southern Metals in Wilmington NC. They have a contract to scrap hmmwvs out and are open to the public. It's where many of the eBay sellers are getting thier parts for resale. They have a Web site, just Google it.

darkturbo

Much of the resale stuff right now is coming out of Southern Metals in Wilmington NC. They have a contract to scrap hmmwvs out and are open to the public. It's where many of the eBay sellers are getting thier parts for resale. They have a Web site, just Google it.
Thanks greenjeepster --- anything on the west coast?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks