• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military vehicles sent overseas

bigbe5678

Hi Everyone Just a quick question what happens to the Military vehicles that are used in say South Korea or Germany and the US government surplus's them Are they sold to the public ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A friend used to buy from the US gov auctions in Italy. Not sure about other countries. I know a lot of the european countries auction off their old unimogs.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately, S. Korea vehicles tend to end up in scrap. I posted a video here a long while ago of FMC M1070 HETs that were driven into DRMO being destroyed by forklift. There was a batch of LMTVs that went up on one of the auction sites, but never knew if they got sold, pulled, or what. There are some civic associations that can get light duty (CUCVs/HMMWVs) for parade use, but never was able to establish comms with them.

dmetalmiki

When military personnel and equipment is used in an overseas deployment, (All forces).
Vehicles and equipment is sold of to Local disposal agents If not economically viable to ship it all back to the country of origin. And if The government of origin applicable deems the receiving civilian population suitable to receive it.
Obviously other foreign nationals can visit that nations disposal agent or auction with a view to purchase, Again, If deemed suitable to receive or own it.
An example is in the European union, where Military equipment is auctioned off en mass!. (by different nations) But Some countries or persons within the European Union are Not deemed suitable to take possession of it.
This can apply to the disposing countries own citizens in fact.
Big trouble if a person has an 'Other ' national entitled to obtain equipment Purchase and transfer ownership to that person not entitled to purchase or own it.
Hence all the restrictive documentation to ensure compliance.

Last edited:

Splash

I remember seeing an auction within the last year (2017) for a bunch of LMTVs in S K. They were really big lots of 50 or 100 trucks in each lot, I think I saw 2-3 lots. Really too big quantities for normal people.
Given the proximity for ease transportation and regulation they most likely would have been purchased by a SK company to re-fit re-sell for NGO use in Africa or SE Asia or something. I doubt any would have come back this way. Just my Guess though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1078 had a dispatch log and paperwork from S. Korea. I have no idea if it was stationed there or went over and back with a unit but it was there at some point.

Jericho

Military trucks and equipment in the Great Draw Down , 1991 thru 2008 from Europe were routinely offered to American Municpalities in the US, all the receiver had to do was pay the ticket . Average truck (M 35A2 ) from Germany to US east coast , in 1994 was around 800$ Many of us bought them and CUCVs when they closed down the POCUMUS prepositioned storage depots went for around 500$ usually less than a few thousand miles . I shipped two back from Germany at GOV expense as my POVs . In the end they couldn't even sell them and lined them up by the hundreds and ran an M 88 track down the hoods, then we paid the German Nationals to grind them up to scrap ! Some Countries are still returning WW2 lend lease

dougco1

I was at Ft Drum last fall for a pre-view and they had several M1078s being readied for shipment oversees. These were pretty beat up; broken windshields, missing headlights, mirrors, torn or missing cargo covers, mid 90s vintage, non running, close to being scrapped. I asked about them and I was told they are being shipped to Israel and they were going to refurbish for their own use. I asked why, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up until a dozen years or so ago, vehicles belonging to military units stationed in the middle-east were returned to the US when the units returned, and remained assigned to that unit. Policy changed somewhat to save money so that the vehicles remained overseas to be assigned to the replacement units. Returning units then were assigned new or replacement vehicles when they arrived home. There were many exceptions to this, of course.

Guyfang

Staff member
Some equipment here in Germany is sold here. Most goes back to the states. It used to be very easy to buy surplus here, but things have tightened up. There used to be open auctions, everyone could attend. But that stopped long ago.

bigbe5678

Here are some pictures from the Bayonne NJ Navel Base . Back in the 70s my father and I would go down there to pick up items won on DRMO. I remember seeing brand new Jeeps and trucks in storage .-017c718d7bf97051_png.jpg-dbb53b7a63ab03f6_png.jpg-60aae0e9b1e80bb2_png.jpg-60fba191b77f70ec_png.jpg-4360b56c6174473d_png.jpg-bcdc8957a64b1536_png.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
The condition of our equipment in the early 70's, in Germany, was deplorable. The first few road marches I was on, we left a trail of broke dick trucks behind us. I was so ashamed of the Army, and us soldiers. Everyone just laughed at me/us. We need this equipment so bad. The bucket loader in picture 2 is what I first learned on, over here. I dug holes and sand, for sand bags, for weeks on end. These pictures sure bring a lot of memory's back to me.

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the first things I did here, was help drive all the 2.5 ton long bed gassers down to the DRMO, to get rid of them Then we picked up 12-14 brand new, 2.5 ton longbeds, for missile transporting. They were unloaded in Breamerhaven, and we drove them back. I think, it was over 650 klicks, and took about 10-12 hours. What a great time.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One interesting bit I learned when importing my '41 MB was that I did not pay taxes on it. There were fees and other costs(!) involved, but one of them wasn't tax on the item itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks