• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military wrecker discussion

Crash_AF

I'd like to start by saying that this came about from majortom's post in another thread about his modifications to his M543A2. I would like to hear some stories about the strengths and weaknesses of the military wreckers if anyone has them, and suggestions on how to overcome some of those weaknesses.

Thanks,
Joe

mcmullag

One of the drawbacks is the weight.
These things put ruts in your lawn when your are trying to do such jobs as
re-right your mother-in-law when she falls down drunk at a barbeque at your place.

other than that, can't think of any minuses.

g-dawg

Joe, I needs your phone # in case my deuce ever breaks down around here.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slow

My 543 is slow and underpowered, I flat towed a Deuce yesterday and any hill was a real problem. They are fun to play with and they can go cross country(slowly) and I like mine alot!
James G.

papercu

wrecker

Biggest problem for me is the control location. Hopping up and down off the back of the wrecker is not as fun these days. :eek: Wayne

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: wrecker

James you got a multi or a gasser? Looks like a multi. Mines a screamer, didn't know a multi could be so powerfull.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the frame on the 819 is a triple frame, i think my 819 is easer to get on to and operate then the 543s and the 816s though i dont have any of the rear controls. if im soldier A as well soldier B there is a lot of up and down. i put ruts that are still there in my mother in laws drive way right after i got the 819, needless to say it cant go back

maritimer

well seeing as how majortoms post was in response to my post i wil tag this thread as i would also liek to learn about these beautity's as i will be baseing a biz on them. given the fact i will require a very offroad capable heavy duty and simple to operate rig to do recovery and extraction with i think learning what the real world differneces are and what the various points of upgrading structure will be

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i love my 816 with 1600s but i have never had it offroad except in the yard. one day ill be hoping for a trip offroad to recover someones lost truck in a mud bog. ill be sure to take a camera for some pics. right now its major use is taking parts off some 5tons

Gamagoat1

As long as I keep in mind what it was built for, how fast it was designed to go, how much it can lift, when it was built, and various other design flaws/ criteria, I LOVE MY TRUCK! It's no hot rod and will probably not keep up with traffic going up I-70 to Vail, It won't carry the family, in comfort, and it won't pass up many gas/ deisel stations. Newer, faster highway rigs are available, for a price, but ol' Capn' Hook will do the same just a little slower.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hndrsonj said:
What about frame strength on a M108? I've seen a few bent ones...
I think the PITA outriggers are pretty much required for any overloading. The Austin Western Manual gives the rating a 20% safety factor so I'd expect bending if trying to move lots of weight without stifflegs.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i to would use the outriggers to lift many loads and they are a pita but worth it as long as i didnt have to use them every day. i havnt lifted up much weight except to haul 5tons and dueces from GLs yards. and a couple duece cabs and beds

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I come from a rigging and lifting background and the only drawback that I see is they really don't lift that much weight for the size of the machine. You can use the stiff-legs but then that limits you to lifting stright up and down only. The boom could be a little longer for crane operation also.

All that being said I'd still love to own one :D .

madsam

I love my toy. For home use, I can't think of a job it can't do. If you were to use it for a business on the highway, it probably be to slow unless you needed the more extreme off road usage. The engines are not turboed..(816).. so they are affected by altitude. Higher altitude, slower they run. Many things are manual, as long as you are willing to use manual, it is ok. (side feet work good but take a while to set up all of them. ) I carry a 6 foot latter to get in the bed because they are designed for 19 year olds who can jump around. Without looking it up, the crane can lift 10k unsupported and 20k supported. So if that works for what you are doing, then get one. They are cheeper than a full highway wrecker for the same weight class. You might be able to tow a fully loaded semi, but without engine brakes and being a little light, it would be scary. Driving it across the country, (Yes I did that.) was ok once, if I had the ear muffs. They are loud and rattle and smell like oil which they leak a lot of. Sort of like strattling a engine and taking off. The best way to describe them is 'beast'.. But A fun beast.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ty, they do rotate so you have some flexibility even with the stifflegs down. My wrecker is only a deuce but I stil can't imagine being in this hobby without it.

madsam

That is a good point. Most highway wreckers don't rotate. That makes these more versatile in most cases. And The big 45k winch on the back, (816) will pull almost anything out of the mud.

Bozor1000

madsam said:
That is a good point. Most highway wreckers don't rotate. That makes these more versatile in most cases. And The big 45k winch on the back, (816) will pull almost anything out of the mud.
A lot of tow truck companies out here in the Los Angeles area have rotators. But the have to pay about half a million for one, where as a military wrecker I have seen go for about $10,000 the last time I looked on GL.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Hey Ty, they do rotate so you have some flexibility even with the stifflegs down. My wrecker is only a deuce but I stil can't imagine being in this hobby without it.
I guess what I was trying to say is after the stiff legs are installed you can't move the boom with the load on it. Or am I missing something?

I'm thinking more of it's use as a crane and not a wrecker ( which is what I think most people will use it for that buy one). It will still lift more than most people will ever want moved though.

Crash_AF

I think you two are getting a little confused on terminology. I believe that one of you is referring to the outriggers, and the other is referring to the boom jacks. The boom definitely cannot turn with the boom jacks in place and a load on the hook.

Later,
Joe

madsam

When you say "stiff legs" are you talking about the stabilizing feet set? I can rotate with a load with or without the stiff legs out. They are manual. Now whether I could tip over if I pick something to heavy, yes. But nothing stops me from rotating my crane with the legs out or not.

There is 2 stops set in to keep me from hitting my cab. But I know some people have taken those off to get full 360 rotation.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks