• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military wrecker FS, Zephyrhills, Fla

Dodge man

I just got off the phone with a guy located In Zephyrhills, Fla that has a 5 ton truck for sale. I don't know the model but he said it was a tank recovery vehicle and I believe he said it was built in 1972. I don't know the guy personally and I haven't seen the truck but it looks impressive from the pictures (Hopefully attached!) He sounded like a nice guy and that he knew what he was talking about but I know very little about this type truck so you'll do your own homework on this one. I didn't get his but his phone number is (813) 713-6061 and he's located in Zephyrhills just north of Tampa.

I'd like to know more about this so if anyone checks it out let me know what you find.

Well, No pictures!! I've tried FOUR times to upload them but the SS server keeps timing out.

Dodge man

PS I think he said this had a Cummings 250(?) engine. He did say that it was so fast that it would scare you.

TaylorTradingCo

"PS I think he said this had a Cummings 250(?) engine. He did say that it was so fast that it would scare you."

I am sure that this was meant as a joke. Since you were on the telephone, you couldn't see him smiling.

Derek Taylor

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Trucks do not normally "recover" tracked vehicles (although I have yanked M113's out of the mud with a M816 wrecker).

Big trucks such as the M123, M923 and the new HETT can winch tracked vehicles and tanks up on a lowboy and transport them.

Towing a tracked vehicle with a truck would be dangerous for a couple of reasons......weight of towed vehicle and lack of braking.

I have never hauled any type of armored vehicle with a 5 ton....and I was a Transportation soldier in the Active Army.

The guy is either misinformed, misrepresenting the vehicle in order to sell it or yanking your chain.

"Let the buyer beware".

Dodge man

If the pictures won't upload, try resizing them to 640x480. That should work. I'm waiting to see them.

They were 640x480. It had nothing to do with the size, the SS server timed out. I'll TRY to attach them to this message.

Nope. It's NOT working! I tried both "paper clipping" them to the message and using the "manage attachment" functions and it times out on both of them. The SS picture server is definitely overloaded. It's almost always slow to download pictures and frequently refuses to download them at all.

Leschert, I'll try to send the pictures to you via PM. If that fails send me you direct E-mail address and I'll send them directly to you with my E-mail client.

pcblakeley

dude, make sure you get one of the guys to go look at it in person before you make a trip to see it with cash...unless you like surprises and going on a trip for other reasons...

already 2 days into my first purchase I wish I had looked the truck over a little more....no regrets but it is affecting my budget I had planned for.

Get lots of pics of the truck sent to you before you go...

do a Google Search for Craigslist searcher, then use one engine to search for lots of local trucks...thats what I did!

Cant wait to see the truck pictures

SixSpeed

Banned
My knowledge of 5-Tons is pretty good, however I don't have much experience with the wreckers specifically. If nobody else can help you out I could for sure. I drive back and forth Tampa/Gainesville every weekend (Friday afternoon & Sunday evening). Zephryhills isn't far off 75.

Just let me know. I'm on SS 24/7, just send me a PM.

EDIT: I will check it out as long as I get a ride in one of the Mopars! ;D

Dodge man

I e-mailed the owner and asked what model it is and here's his reply: "should be a am general XM 816 WW". He also sent me a copy of an on-line FAQ and it says that it does have a "Cummings model NHC-250 6 cyl. diesel engine". I don't know if he's checked the engine in his truck though.

He added that the truck is in Tampa so you might want to check it out SixSpeed.

I'll try once again to upload pictures of it!

Nope, still not working! It hangs up for a couple of minutes saying "sending requests to www.stellsoldiers.com" then an error screen pops up says that he "connection to the server was reset". I tied it three more times and got the same results each time.

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey, what format are the photos in? What are their size/dimensions?

It is easy to tell a Cummins (no G, sorry, lol) from a Multifuel. The Cummins trucks have the air cleaner on the driver fender and the Multifuel engines have the air cleaner on the passenger fender.

:jumpin:

SixSpeed

Banned
Oh, small world. I know exactly where that is at. I stopped by that place in my Unimog a long time ago after spotting some Military iron outside. He had some cool/nice trucks. Real nice guy as well. Only about 15 mins from my house.

rizzo

Trucks do not normally "recover" tracked vehicles (although I have yanked M113's out of the mud with a M816 wrecker).

Big trucks such as the M123, M923 and the new HETT can winch tracked vehicles and tanks up on a lowboy and transport them.

Towing a tracked vehicle with a truck would be dangerous for a couple of reasons......weight of towed vehicle and lack of braking.

I have never hauled any type of armored vehicle with a 5 ton....and I was a Transportation soldier in the Active Army.

The guy is either misinformed, misrepresenting the vehicle in order to sell it or yanking your chain.

"Let the buyer beware".

I have heard this quite often. seems to be a common misconception.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have heard this quite often. seems to be a common misconception.
While there may be isolated instances where light, thin skinned armored vehicles, or wheeled armored vehicles were pulled by a 5 ton tractor trailer (the vehicle referred to above) it is not normal doctrine.

I have pulled a D-7 dozer on a lowboy behind a M818....it was overloaded to the max and my pucker factor was 10 until I got back the the Motor Pool (the M916 pulling the load had broken down). I never got out of low range and stopping was an adventure in itself.

The Motor Sgt. gave our Platoon Leader a royal arse chewing for allowing us to do it.

A wrecker can pull (get it rolling on hard surface) an M-1 tank due to the (relatively) light rolling resistance of the tank in Neutral. Stopping it would be another matter entirely.
In fact to correctly tow an M1 requires two recovery vehicles.....one towing and one for braking.

Anytime a military unit does a mission now it is required to fill out a "Risk Assessment" form.
If anything appears too dangerous (this is for non-combat missions) the mission is re-evaluated.

We were never (knowingly) allowed to do anything that might cause accident or injury.

I have spent most of my adult life either as a commercial trucker or in the Army. I stand by my previous statement.